What's new

Business Plan - New Build

brodygirletz

Reaction score
Hey Everyone! I am in the process of putting together a business plan for a wash and was wondering if anyone was willing to share a business plan that I could take a look at as a reference? This is my first wash so kind of flying blind. Planning to build 2 SS bays and 2 IBAs.

Thanks,
Brody

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
try this or similar

Creating a business plan is a lot of work and there are some general rules to follow which aren't very hard to find on your own. I think if people have bothered to take the time and effort to create a business plan they may not be eager to share that hard work with a stranger just because they ask.

Topwell Clean

Reaction score
Hey Everyone! I am in the process of putting together a business plan for a wash and was wondering if anyone was willing to share a business plan that I could take a look at as a reference? This is my first wash so kind of flying blind. Planning to build 2 SS bays and 2 IBAs.

Thanks,
Brody
In-bay rollover car wash, would love to recommend our rollover car wash system for you, $35000, 5 brushes 4 dryers. 2 years warranty. Car wash history since 1992. Feel free to contact me.

Topwell Clean

Reaction score
wow that is cheap!
Compared with US machines or EU machines, it is cheap, but not cheap in China. But the good thing is you can use it for 5 years and change to a new machine, already return your investment and can get a new machine, why not? Made in China are growing and becoming more and more reliable.

Swamp Donkey

Reaction score

Thanks,
Brody
Have you looked into how much it will cost for this build? Just curious. The one that I'm looking to build is 3 SS and 1 IBA and it is looking to be about $2.5M for everything except the land! Wondering if others have seen the same kind of pricing and what car count is needed to justify that cost.

TMoliver

Reaction score
$35,000.00 looks too low for a china made unit. What about the tariff and inbound shipping? Should that be closer to $50,000.00 landed at job site??

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Have you looked into how much it will cost for this build? Just curious. The one that I'm looking to build is 3 SS and 1 IBA and it is looking to be about $2.5M for everything except the land! Wondering if others have seen the same kind of pricing and what car count is needed to justify that cost.
to know if your proposed car wash business will cover the note and all the expenses including your salary, you need to create three years of cash flow projections. You need to start with the daily traffic count and use a multiplier for your hopeful average of cars per day. In my business plan about 20 years ago I plugged in 3/10 of 1% of the average daily traffic count in front of my site. I struggled a lot at the beginning because I came nowhere near that number in actual cars washed. There were several factors involved. My speed limit was a little high out in front of my site even though I thought my egress was good. I was running a machine that although it was affordable proved to be problematic right from the beginning and I found myself doing a lot of repairs and re-engineering and honestly I was in way over my head.

Many of the expense that go on your cash flow projections can be obtained but it takes some work. You have to find out what your taxes will be, what your insurance policy is going to cost, you have to get an idea of chemical cost based on your sales projections, you have to factor in things like licenses and permits. Then you have to factor in for things like cost overruns on your construction which in my plan I used 20% and that really helped when I reloaded my automatic wash a few years ago.

The other thing that is important is that when you create your cash flow projections you do a worst case scenario, a best case scenario, and Hopeful average.

In my mind, this is the right approach for almost any business. You have to start with a business plan. Any other way is asking for trouble.

Swamp Donkey

Reaction score
to know if your proposed car wash business will cover the note and all the expenses including your salary, you need to create three years of cash flow projections. You need to start with the daily traffic count and use a multiplier for your hopeful average of cars per day. In my business plan about 20 years ago I plugged in 3/10 of 1% of the average daily traffic count in front of my site. I struggled a lot at the beginning because I came nowhere near that number in actual cars washed. There were several factors involved. My speed limit was a little high out in front of my site even though I thought my egress was good. I was running a machine that although it was affordable proved to be problematic right from the beginning and I found myself doing a lot of repairs and re-engineering and honestly I was in way over my head.

Many of the expense that go on your cash flow projections can be obtained but it takes some work. You have to find out what your taxes will be, what your insurance policy is going to cost, you have to get an idea of chemical cost based on your sales projections, you have to factor in things like licenses and permits. Then you have to factor in for things like cost overruns on your construction which in my plan I used 20% and that really helped when I reloaded my automatic wash a few years ago.

The other thing that is important is that when you create your cash flow projections you do a worst case scenario, a best case scenario, and Hopeful average.

In my mind, this is the right approach for almost any business. You have to start with a business plan. Any other way is asking for trouble.
Agree completely! A guy I work with is already in the process of installing an almost identical site that I am looking at building. He has a 16,000 cpd count and I have a 17,000 cpd count. He has a 5 year business plan projected and it shows great returns even after a salary is paid.

Some of my concerns are that we are "trusting" what the equipment vendor is telling us and using their numbers. The daily traffic we were told to use (and google says the same) is .75% and you are talking about .33%. That's a huge difference. The "salesman" owns his own wash and is building a 2nd now. He has shared some of his numbers and has offered to share his books and tax returns for verification, but I wanted to do some research on my own first before jumping in bed with anyone.

The 2 lane highway out front has 45 mph speed limit and has a stop light that is a 2-300 yards down the road so the traffic is a lot of stop and go. The light turns into a very high end neighborhood.

We're currently in the middle of helping to manage a $500M manufacturing expansion so I understand quite a bit about the process on a construction site, the plans, dealing with architects and trades, and those types of things. I have owned businesses in the past and built business plans for loans before, been a while, but done it. My buddy has also already gotten approval from the bank, and they are telling him he should have no issues and his numbers are actually worse than what the bank has estimated. weird.

I definitely appreciate everyone's comments and the feedback. What a great community this forum has!

AnalyticWash

Reaction score
Projections and reality are two different things. If you miss your top line estimate (750k) by 20% this probably makes no money for you. Have you projected a worst case scenario?

What's your break even number?

Per my other post:

You will need to average about 100 cpd on the IBA to hit it (plus above average self-serve numbers). Average ticket needs to be around $15/car on the auto.