What's new

Car Wash Stands who is the best?

Gas biz

Reaction score
I recently purchased two car wash locations where I want to replace the existing pump stands. One is a 5 bay with the other being a 6 all self serve. I'm getting a lot of information about which way to go. Money not being an issue, which manufacturer do you trust to be the most reliable? How do we feel about direct injection and direct drive?

OurTown

Reaction score
What is wrong with what you have now that makes you think they need to be replaced?

Gas biz

Reaction score
Stuff in the equipment room now is 20+ years old. My thinking is that I'd like to go ahead and get new stuff instead of swaping parts every week. Booms are falling off the ceiling, lines are old, low pressure system has to be replaced. I'll upload some pics of the equipment rooms tomorrow so you can get a visual. These two washes look like a scene from the walking dead but I'm having fun learning about the biz.

OurTown

Reaction score
20 years old doesn't mean much and after not that many years you will be wrenching on the new stuff anyway. All the deteriorated things that the customer sees should be replaced. You could go through all of the pump room stuff replacing hoses and other more common to break items. I could see also replacing the low pressure systems because in many older washes, they were added later and cobbled up. Do the pump stands have stainless steel frames?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I will add that my current thinking is most any pump unit made after the mid-late 90s and sits on a stainless stand is probably worth looking at rebuilding. If a completely new reload is not financially feasible a good tech can come in and work with what you have and make a very reliable system for a fraction of an all new system. But I do love that "new car wash" smell.

Ginsan and D&S are worth a look if you are looking at VFD. Prepare for some sticker shock.

There is a D&S rep in Atlanta.

I know a Ginsan/Coleman rep in Macon. I will PM you his number.

Last edited:

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Agree with Greg. For the most part SS equip is made with components that have a life expectancy and can be easily replaced without issue. Spend efforts on cosmetics like FRP on Bay walls and replace Lines, Booms, as needed. Since there are no details concerning Low pressure system it is hard to make Reccomendations but again, the components of those like Flo Jets, Hydrominders etc. are easily replaceable.

Eric H

Reaction score
Etowah Valley Equipment is just about the easiest stuff to work on. I’m not enthusiastic about direct injection, VFDs or a lot of fancy controls especially proprietary parts! I want equipment that any idiot can understand along with parts that I can buy from any industrial supply house.
I agree with others here about refurbishing what you have. I think after you see the price for new equipment and installation you’ll be swayed towards refurbishment.
Where is this wash located? Are you new to this industry? Are you planning to do this install on your own or have a distributor take care of it?

cmawash

Reaction score
WE HAVE DONE SEVERAL UP GRADES IN STAGES LIKE SOAP SUPPLY TANKS , FEED LINES AT ONE STAGE, PUMPING PLANT 2 PUMPS PER RACK, USED SEVERAL RACKS HAVE HAD GOOD LUCK WITH HARD WARE FROM HYDROSPRAY WE HAVE ORDERED CUSTOM MODIFIED EQUIPMENT WHICH THEY SUPPLIED, IF DONE IN STAGES NOT TO PAIN FULL

STXCW

Reaction score
As mentioned, if the inside frame is stainless then rebuild and only replace the items outside that customers can see. If your equipment inside is in bad shape and you want something that is at a good price point, then you should look at the Ginsan direct drive. I was skeptical at first and many told me not to go that direction, "it has to be a belt drive". Finally pulled the trigger and although we are only 2 years in on our first unit, it hasn't skipped a beat. They can also custom make any meter door to fit any manufacture, we have done this at several locations when we do remodels, and the doors are too beat up to hold decals.

Etowah

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
As mentioned, if the inside frame is stainless then rebuild and only replace the items outside that customers can see. If your equipment inside is in bad shape and you want something that is at a good price point, then you should look at the Ginsan direct drive. I was skeptical at first and many told me not to go that direction, "it has to be a belt drive". Finally pulled the trigger and although we are only 2 years in on our first unit, it hasn't skipped a beat. They can also custom make any meter door to fit any manufacture, we have done this at several locations when we do remodels, and the doors are too beat up to hold decals.
The only thing I will add to this is that when we first started discussing direct drives 15 or 16 years ago I was highly skeptical myself, but am now a believer in them. Direct drives were attempted in this industry 30+ years ago and they were a nightmare. The couplings could not handle the frequent start/stop of a self serve. Modern couplings have eliminated that issue. The only thing I tell anyone is to check the tightness of the set screws annually. It's less maintenance than inspecting belts for wear and tension which I recommend every six months.

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
Are you screwing with us? Looks better than the vast majority of the washes I have seen. Put some belt guards on those pump stands and go!
Agreed. Compared to some of the garbage I see some operators try to save, that's not all bad. It really comes down to how much time and effort you want to put into saving it.

Obviously, as an employee of a manufacturer I would love to separate you from some of your money money but you have to make your own cost/benefit analysis. Have you had the opportunity to test each function in each bay? You definitely need to add CC to the bays and the graphics look a bit torn up. Appears that you have Dixmor timers so that's a plus. The buildings need some deep cleaning and lipstick The one hot water heater is rusted which is never a good sign.

The vacs are a much older version of our Powervacs. Most of the parts are still available but there's not room on the meterpanel for a display timer and cc reader.

Townco is still in business but I don't know if they still support that generation of equipment.

Last edited:

Cwajciec

Reaction score
After seeing those pictures I want to buy whatever you are replacing. I just got a 1994 vintage car wash back up and running and it was as simple as rebuilding all the pumps (cat310), replacing many hoses, and replacing the old well pumps in the low pressure systems with flojets and cleaned a few solenoids. Replaced all the hydrominder diaphragms too. As for the outside upgraded to all dixmor timers and cryptopay, and painted everything white with new lights. Working ok so far and less than $10k

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Yeah, Buster Brown at Townco is still around I believe. Gotta admit that is not a sleek unit but will work if budget demands. But holy cow did they take up a lot of space!

But if you want all new I can understand too. I've got a friend who has been in the business for 40 years. He recently ripped out everything and installed new pump stands. He wants everything new and standardized. The equipment rooms are very neat and the floors are dry. There is a place for everything and everything is its' place. The equipment rooms are climate controlled. It makes it an absolute pleasure to work on things there. I've been tempted to do the same, hopefully just to improve my attitude about my business. It also makes it more attractive to a new investor.

That Ginsan direct drive unit would be sleek and open up a lot of floor space! Also if you think you might add an IBA in the future you may want to up size the RO production a little