What's new

Car Wash Vs. Laundry

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The answer to your question is no; my IBA on a nice busy day (like today...55+and sunny all day!) does great and my machine seems to run at its best when busy. However, I always tend to keep thinking multiple profit centers. One more IBA would be great at my site, too and there are some real bargains out there on equipment. Just thinking laundry mat, that's all.

Thanks for the input.

ps; the wash in question (with the converted ss to laundry bay) is a nice little rural carwash with attendant and extremely knowledgeable and seasoned industry veteran owner.

MEP001

Reaction score
I wasn't suggesting that you consider another IBA instead of a laundromat. I meant that income compared to cost of equipment and labor will be much lower than a self-serve or auto bay. I would be all for a laundromat or pet wash if we had an underperforming bay, but such a change would mean a lot more work and more expense. You would also have a parking issue unless you have plenty to spare. I can see people parking in an empty bay to do their laundry. On the plus side, you're in a position to snag the customers' cars and detail or express wax them while they do their laundry.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
On the plus side, you're in a position to snag the customers' cars and detail or express wax them while they do their laundry.
I may be missing something, but I would think that the people that have to use a laundromat aren't a big part of detail shop clientele.

MEP001

Reaction score
I.B. Washincars said:
I may be missing something, but I would think that the people that have to use a laundromat aren't a big part of detail shop clientele.
That's a good point. Maybe they'd use the self-serve while their clothes are in the dryer.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
IMO, a laundromat, would require an attendant on the property and has more moving parts.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
True enough.

I am attended 6 days/week now, with the detail on site. Not too serious about this idea just yet, just thinking about it, as well as petwash.

Found a company called t-n-t that makes metal garages and sheds. I can buy a 24x26 installed for $5k!

MEP001

Reaction score
You can figure somewhere between $300,000 and five million US. There are too many variables to pin it down any closer.

CanCanCase

Sablefish
Reaction score
Big tourist area here... rv's, campers, bikers, hikers... all use my laundromats regularly. At least half of my customers would love to wash their cars and trucks (well, except the bikers & hikers!) while their laundry was spinning.

Think of all the cross-promotional ideas... I'll happily give a free or discounted sleeping bag wash to anyone dropping $20, $30+ to wash their rv, etc... for the laundry lowyalty program, why not give a carwash with every dozen washer starts instead of another free wash?

To me, it's not either/or... the two businesses compliment each other nicely.

-Case

washnvac

Reaction score
If you are going to build a car wash next to a laundry, I would try to use the hot air exhaust from the clothes dryers to heat or pre-heat the wash water for the car wash. It should be fairly simple to do; and you would save big bucks.