What's new

Closing on Sunday

wash man 2000

Reaction score
We are Christian, and are operating in the south where most folks are too, does anyone have any input on the impact of being closed on Sundays?

I would like my employees to be able to have a day of rest, and like Chik Fil A think we may do as much business in 6 days as the rest do in 7. Any thoughts from industry veterans on this?

Express Tunnel Central Florida

wash man 2000

Reaction score
Thanks KentAdel, that's great advice, and generally what I do, just looking to see if anyone has seen major backlash. I think if we do it from the beginning, no one will feel like we're taking anything away from them (as opposed to opening 7 days and then closing on Sundays later). As always willing to learn from those who have gone before me. Thanks again

washnshine

Reaction score
I’d never tell anyone what days they should or should not open- that is a personal decision and every proprietor has the right to do as they see fit. I’m sure you know what kind of volume you currently do on Sunday and also know that you cannot assume that every customer will find another day of the week at your wash and you may relinquish some customers to competitors. Depending on your volume, that may or may not impact your bottom line. Again - it’s your business - do as you see fit!

Wash4Life

Reaction score
Count me in as one of those who is in the "You do you" camp.

Even if we (my father and I) wanted to close on Sundays, there is no way we could afford it. We'd be leaving a lot of money on the table. Plus, with the way weather is timed, Sunday might be a salty or pollen day.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Goo-Goo car wash, a very large chain based out of Columbus, Ga. was closed on Sundays. It worked for them.

If you want to discuss this I would think Roger Beck, the son of Goo-Goo founder Lamar Beck, would be willing to have the conversation.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Perhaps you could find some 7th day Adventists who want to work Sundays and take off Saturdays. Have you looked at other area locations (Or have someone else who does not observe the Sunday Sabbath do it for you) to see what volume they do on a nice Sunday? I wonder how you come to the conclusion that " we may do as much business in 6 days as the rest do in 7 "

wash man 2000

Reaction score
... I wonder how you come to the conclusion that " we may do as much business in 6 days as the rest do in 7 "
This was in reference to the founder stating that A Chik Fil A makes as much money in 6 days as McDonald's or other franchises make in 7 days

Etowah

wash man 2000

Reaction score
Goo-Goo car wash, a very large chain based out of Columbus, Ga. was closed on Sundays. It worked for them.

If you want to discuss this I would think Roger Beck, the son of Goo-Goo founder Lamar Beck, would be willing to have the conversation.
Fantastic Idea, thank you!

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
This was in reference to the founder stating that A Chik Fil A makes as much money in 6 days as McDonald's or other franchises make in 7 days
Thanks - got it. Notwithstanding someone choosing to follow their beliefs it is a false comparison.. 1. Chick Fil A for whatever reason, as a chain is #! in QSR sales per store. There is nothing to indicate any particular car wash location would do as well versus the competition. 2. The industries are different. People eat every day . If someone feels like going to C F A, they can arrange their visits to exclude Sunday and presumably the would be Sunday visitors will visit another day. If people have a dirty car on Sunday will they go to the open competitor or wait until Monday and if it rains Monday... 3. Weather is not as big a Factor. You pay for the place 24/7/365. You lose rain days and now you are closed Sundays a s well.

ShinePro

Reaction score
Customers will adjust.
The restaurant across the street from the wash was closed on Sundays and Mondays for a while. People adjusted - They were just busier the other 5 days!

When I was a boy I remember having to go get gas on Saturday so we could go to church because gas stations were all closed on Sunday. No youth sports, and many other things. Etc etc.

I miss those days!!!!!!!

washnshine

Reaction score
I hear you. It’s almost like there is no differentiation of days any more. I realize there never were for many people - like my father who worked shifts, but I think it is even less common now for a weekend day to feel like a weekend for a lot of people.

zimmmark

Reaction score
I hear you. It’s almost like there is no differentiation of days any more. I realize there never were for many people - like my father who worked shifts, but I think it is even less common now for a weekend day to feel like a weekend for a lot of people.
I have 2 car washes and I would like to start closing them on Sunday also. God will give you a way! May God bless you in this endeavor

Randy

Reaction score
I think it’s a personal choice if you want to close on Sunday. There are a number of businesses here that closed on Sundays. I have a customer who is open on Sunday but no one is there. He goes in on Saturday night and does what needs to be done so he can go to church on Sunday and be off on Sunday.

Wash4Life

Reaction score
Customers will adjust.
The restaurant across the street from the wash was closed on Sundays and Mondays for a while. People adjusted - They were just busier the other 5 days!

When I was a boy I remember having to go get gas on Saturday so we could go to church because gas stations were all closed on Sunday. No youth sports, and many other things. Etc etc.

I miss those days!!!!!!!
But it goes back to Earl's point about the restaurant industry being different than the car wash industry.

Let's look at the weather, too. It snows on a Thursday, and things are dried out by Sunday. People want to get the salt off right away.

Another wrinkle, too, are memberships. I don't know if it applies with the original poster, but I can imagine many members getting angry at not being able to wash on Sunday.

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
Do what you want, its your business. We however, get a lot of people who wash on the way to church or when leaving church. If someone wants a clean car to go to church in, they're not waiting until Monday to wash.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
. We however, get a lot of people who wash on the way to church or when leaving church. If someone wants a clean car to go to church in, they're not waiting until Monday to wash.
Same here. you could tell by how they were dressed . On the way to or from church with the whole family.