What's new

Customer claims we took money from car

Joefuss21

Reaction score
Im new to this forum and this business. I had a customer claim the other day that their child left money in the car. I asked my driver he said there wasnt anything on the seat . Im not sure how to handle it and figued I'd ask for sum advise

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I always found this to be one of the touchier situations to deal with. Luckily it did not come up very often. While I am sure some will disagree generally our policy was that we were not responsible for items left in the vehicle - especially money since it would be difficult to identify whether the money an employee had was theirs or the customers. We had a sign posted that stated that policy at the entrance of the wash. If you reimburse lost money it is admitting guilt which I think is a bad precedent. It might also encourage future thefts if the employee thought the customer would be repaid anyway.

If we suspected that we had an employee with sticky fingers we would set up a situation where they were the only one with an opportunity to steal. In most cases the employee did not take the bait.

Joefuss21

Reaction score
See thats kind of what I thought . If you give it back you admit guilt. and also open up to the fact that then everyone will say I left money in the car. She said that she was going to file a police report. I dunno if she can or what ramifications are . I have very trust worthy employees and they have found plenty opf money under seats and never kept it. they always returned it to me.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
I am guessing a child didn't have much money, and probably found it later, but todays blame game is crazy. I would never give them money, or word will spread about the cash cow. I would give them a wash, to look like a great guy either way. People can be wrong, lying,or crazy in their accusations, and some are actually right.

Joefuss21

Reaction score
she says its her kids birthday money hes 8 why is a kid walking around with money. Its def a he said she said. Maybe the kid dropped it . I reviewed my security tapes and I dont see anyone grabbing money off the seat I asked driver and he said nothing was there. who to believe I dont know. but I cant be just giving money out.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
She can file a police report. The police will take the report but do nothing to follow up. I always hated dealing with a situation like this but you have to consider the ramifications of giving out the money. I even did not give out a free wash because I felt this was indirectly admitting we might have done something wrong.

I always remember a little old lady with a beat up old Ford that complained about the quality of the wash to me. I offered to rewash it and even suggested that I would have an employee clean every spot she felt was dirty. Her response was "Aren't you going to give me a complimentary wash card like the other manager does?" I wonder how long she was pulling that scam.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
she says its her kids birthday money hes 8 why is a kid walking around with money. Its def a he said she said. Maybe the kid dropped it . I reviewed my security tapes and I dont see anyone grabbing money off the seat I asked driver and he said nothing was there. who to believe I dont know. but I cant be just giving money out.
How much money?

Joefuss21

Reaction score
$ 70 This is so frustrating being between a rock and a hard place.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
$ 70 This is so frustrating being between a rock and a hard place.
I had a customer who claimed we stole her wallet from her vehicle. We interviewed everyone who handled her car and all claimed they never saw the wallet. Told the customer sorry, but nothing I can do. She complained to the police and they took a report. She pestered the police for months wanting someone arrested for theft. About a year later we got a call from the police chief. Seems the customer found her wallet in a friends car. No apology from her. If you think your guys didn't do it, stick to your guns and tell her sorry. If you have an idea she might be right, give her the money and hire an investigator to interview the possible theft.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I would stand firm unless you can prove your employee took it. Even if you might think she is right without verification you should not give her any money. I would almost bet that either the money was left somewhere else or she lost it some other way. To me she was being totally irresponsible for letting a child that age take care of that much money. You shouldn't pay for her mistake.

Joefuss21

Reaction score
I would stand firm unless you can prove your employee took it. Even if you might think she is right without verification you should not give her any money. I would almost bet that either the money was left somewhere else or she lost it some other way. To me she was being totally irresponsible for letting a child that age take care of that much money. You shouldn't pay for her mistake.
That was my thinking . I cant strip search the employee and like you say maybe the kid dropped it. Its easy to point a finger at someone else. And once you give them and inch they want a mile.

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
Money

Am I way behind the times, or what? Why does an 8 year old have $70?

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Who gives sn 8 year old a kid $70, and he's walking around with it in his hand. I'd tell her that you reviewed all of the security tapes and you don't see any money.

Its a sad state, but installing cameras everywhere is necessary. I took my car to a body shop and later had a question about something left in my car, he had cameras everywhere and a guy had taken pictures of my total car inside and out, when I took it in. there was no question as to what was the truth.

Joefuss21

Reaction score
UPDATE!!!!!
I called her and said i thoroughly rewiewed all cameras and questioned staff members that worked on it and no money was seen on the tapes and no employee saw it in the car. The cameras were the best investment. makes people think twice or atleast some before accusing of an incident. Thanks again to everyone and all there help.