What's new

Dryer Start--Timer spacing

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
The blowers on my dryers start 2 seconds apart. Is this enough time to have the lowest demand charges, Is peak power needed until full output is realized or just the first second or two. Anyone know the best start sequence, all 10hp.
Thanks
John

tobaccofarmer

Reaction score
not really

You need to install a better delay on make relay. I yhagot one that is adjustable from .5 seconds to 24 hours. I set it at 8 seconds to allow the first producer to be running fully before the second one kicks on. The relay is made by Tele and it is the DQI if you are interested. Tele makes the best control products available in my opinion, its from italy. Anyway thats what I did!

mac

Reaction score
If you put an amp meter on a blower motor and watch it at startup, you'll see that after 2 secs it's still a little high, but by 3 or 4, you can start the next one. I still would like to find a cheaper VFD to start these things.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
Thanks mac, I hadn't looked at the spacing until now, and thought 2sec was a little short, I am going to try 4 sec between each blower and see if the demand next month changes,
thanks
John

Keep-it Kleen

Me, Myself, and I
Reaction score
3 seconds should be enough time on the delay. That's how I set all of my dryers, doesn't matter what machine.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Frankly, I wouldn't go over three seconds myself. That's still nine seconds before that last blower (assuming 4) starts. I can't imagine an eight second delay. Hell, I'd be on my way home before the last one starts.