What's new

Employee Theft

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
Since I work full time, I have my retired father help me by cleaning up on weekdays, and his retired neighbor who is my weekend guy. They both tell me that they don't want to deal with cash, and I leave a small jug of quarters and loose bills to allow them to provide refunds, etc. to customers. I know that I can trust both of them, but would be very nervous about hiring anyone else, including high school kids.

At some point when they both get to the point that they don't want to work for me, I'll have to deal with this issue head on.

MEP001

Reaction score
If you can find someone you know you can trust, that's always good. If I get too busy with something else and can't take care of everything at the wash, when we get another employee chances are they won't have keys to anything, including the equipment room.

Louise

Reaction score
I have a high schooler - actually now he is in college. He has been with me since I opened over 3 years ago. He has full access to the cash and I HAVE NEVER DOUBTED HIM. He works hard, finds extra projects to complete, keeps my computer, surveillance system and music system all working properly. He only works the weekends - in addition to keeping things clean, makes change and pulls quarters, he scrubs rims and makes up to $70/day just in tips.

During peak seasonal times, I often offer work to an additional high schooler. I love all of them. They work hard and LOVE the extra money they can make.
I don't know what I would do without them.