What's new

From Software to Suds: Eager to buy my first Car Wash!

floppgean

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm excited to join this forum as I explore a new career path. I come from a software background but recently experienced a serious injury so no sitting at a computer all day, that prompted me to switch gears and focus on acquiring businesses. I'm currently looking to buy my first car wash and would love any advice or insights from those with experience in this industry. Thanks in advance for your help!

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
You were injured and now can't sit at a desk? But you want to start a career path that requires physical work?

Seems backwards.

Maintaining/repairing car wash equipment is physical work. I know that as I get older, that work only gets more difficult.

MudMoney

Reaction score
The hours that are worked when one first starts out is daunting to 1st owners. 72 hours a week is the norm the 1 st year and then maybe goes down to 60 hours. If you have to hire out repairs and routine maintenance the future is bleak. This business is a young adults adventure and stamina to survive with no guarantee.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
A car wash requires some mechanical ability and physical stamina. Do you possess these? If not, I would choose a different business idea to pursue instead. Why don't you try getting a job part time at a car wash to see if it's some thing you would like. Being an employee at a car wash Will give you a good idea about the daily operation of the business, the customers, the equipment, the cleanup and chores required without any of the risk of a big mortgage payment.

traveler17

Reaction score
“You’re looking to buy your first Carwash “
That’s a broad statement. What kind of wash do you want? What kind of hours do you expect to work? Like mentioned above , how are you injured and can’t sit at a desk but plan on working ANY kind of wash? These questions need to be answered before you’re going to get some legitimate help

washnshine

Reaction score
I agree with all of the above posts. I’m sorry for your injury, but climbing ladders, rolling around 55 gallon drums, lifting heavy trash bins and shoveling pits, and contorting your body around tight spots in freezing temperatures, etc. is not user friendly work to many people. The job will wear you down physically and if you have some existing issues or injuries, your ability to execute will be greatly compromised.

floppgean

Reaction score
You were injured and now can't sit at a desk? But you want to start a career path that requires physical work?

Seems backwards.

Maintaining/repairing car wash equipment is physical work. I know that as I get older, that work only gets more difficult.
You we and now can't sit at a desk? But you want to start a career path

Seems backwards.

floppgean

Reaction score
Thank you for your concern. I have a herniated disc at C6-C7 that has caused a pinched nerve in my neck, leading to some loss of range of motion in my left arm. However, I’m expected to make a full recovery, and I’m determined to transition into owning and operating a car wash. I am aware of the physical demands and am prepared to work through them as I regain my full health.

floppgean

Reaction score
Thank you for the practical advice. I do understand that running a car wash requires a certain level of mechanical ability and physical stamina. While I am currently recovering from an injury, I am committed to learning the necessary skills and am exploring all aspects of the business. I'm also considering getting some hands-on experience, as you suggested, to better understand the day-to-day operations. I'm open to any further advice you might have on the key skills I should focus on developing.
That’s a broad statement. What kind of wash do you want? What kind of hours do you expect to work? Like mentioned above , how are you injured and can’t sit at a desk but plan on working ANY kind of wash? These questions need to be answered before you’re going to get some legitimate help
Thank you for your thoughtful questions. To clarify, I’m looking for a self-serve car wash, which doesn’t require constant physical labor but does involve managing operations, which I’m ready for. I currently run my own business, and while I’m recovering from an injury, I’m on track to fully recover by the end of the year and don’t mind hard work. I’ve done my homework, and I’m excited about the potential in this space. Appreciate your insight and happy to share more as needed!

Last edited:

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree with all of the above posts. I’m sorry for your injury, but climbing ladders, rolling around 55 gallon drums, lifting heavy trash bins and shoveling pits, and contorting your body around tight spots in freezing temperatures, etc. is not user friendly work to many people. The job will wear you down physically and if you have some existing issues or injuries, your ability to execute will be greatly compromised.
Funny to read this because I did all these tasks today, minus the pit shovelling!!

traveler17

Reaction score
In no way am I saying don’t pursue a wash but I would seriously consider a full recovery before you dive in. Buying and fixing up a wash can be strenuous and time consuming especially if you’re green. You will need to be able to “live” at said property getting things in working order, giving the place curb appeal and talking w customers. If at all possible you need to be able to do the majority of this work on your own or you will run yourself out of business hiring everyone to do it for you “unless you just have deep pockets and this isn’t your only source of income.” my advice is to ask questions and you will get the good and the bad on this forum.

floppgean

Reaction score
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your advice, I really appreciate it! I completely understand that taking on a car wash can be challenging, especially when it comes to hands-on work and giving it the care it needs. While I’m new to this industry, I’m eager to learn as much as I can and take things step by step. I’m also looking into ways to balance this transition with my health situation, and I’m grateful for all the insights and advice I can get to make informed decisions. Thanks again for your thoughtful response – it’s great to hear both the good and the challenges from people who’ve been there.

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
Thank you for the practical advice. I do understand that running a car wash requires a certain level of mechanical ability and physical stamina. While I am currently recovering from an injury, I am committed to learning the necessary skills and am exploring all aspects of the business. I'm also considering getting some hands-on experience, as you suggested, to better understand the day-to-day operations. I'm open to any further advice you might have on the key skills I should focus on developing.

Here's a polite yet confident response you could use:

Thank you for your thoughtful questions. To clarify, I’m looking for a self-serve car wash, which doesn’t require constant physical labor but does involve managing operations, which I’m ready for. I currently run my own business, and while I’m recovering from an injury, I’m on track to fully recover by the end of the year and don’t mind hard work. I’ve done my homework, and I’m excited about the potential in this space. Appreciate your insight and happy to share more as needed!
This bolded part of your quote tells me you haven't really done enough research on the self serve business. It's similar to the old "It's a no work business. Just show up once a week, collect your money, make sure the soaps are full, and empty the trash" line that used to be thrown around.

Reality is some weeks you may only spend a couple of hours a day at the wash(every day) but there will be weeks where it seems you've never left and most of that time will be on your feet doing physical labor of some sort. If by "manage" you think you're going to hire someone to handle all the physical labor, I would strongly suggest you reconsider the investment. A singular wash will not typically generate enough revenue to justify hired help. Typically I see operators with 3-4+ washes are the ones that can justify it and even then they are still extremely hands on.

floppgean

Reaction score
Is it just me or is anyone else annoyed by the surge in seemingly AI written posts?
Hi, I can assure you I am 100% human just trying to navigate thr car wash buying journey. I get it though, AI is everywhere in fact it may even help in the future of buying and operating car washes!

Last edited:

liftheavy

Reaction score
dont let the naysayers stop you. if they could do it, surely so can you.

just make sure the numbers make sense, know like all small business it takes a lot of commitment, and ss/iba model is quite volatile.

best of luck!

floppgean

Reaction score
dont let the naysayers stop you. if they could do it, surely so can you.

just make sure the numbers make sense, know like all small business it takes a lot of commitment, and ss/iba model is quite volatile.

best of luck!
Thanks for the encouragement! I definitely believe in pushing forward despite the naysayers. 1725469371829.png appreciate the heads-up about the SS/IBA model being volatile—I'll make sure to dig into the numbers and fully understand the commitment it takes. I'm excited to take on the challenge! Best of luck to you as well

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Sounds like you'll be physically capable soon.

Once you get things under control a SS only wash can be pretty simple and not require too much time. It really depends on the volume of the wash. With daily cleanup help I'd budget ten hours per week after you've gotten a handle on things. Spending more time is better and can help increase your business though.

Don't pay too much for the wash and verify all income with bank statements

floppgean

Reaction score
Sounds like you'll be physically capable soon.

Once you get things under control a SS only wash can be pretty simple and not require too much time. It really depends on the volume of the wash. With daily cleanup help I'd budget ten hours per week after you've gotten a handle on things. Spending more time is better and can help increase your business though.

Don't pay too much for the wash and verify all income with bank statements
Thanks, that’s reassuring! I appreciate the advice.