What's new

heat for self serve trough

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
My trough system is made out of 4 inch pvc pipe. I connect them together with pvc fittings except in the bays where I use large electrical boxes. The pipe goes into the boxes and then I make all my hose connections in the electrical box with a latching lid. I use Raytheon heat cable called winter guard wet. The cable has extra insulation and I have used it in some locations for over 10 years with no problems. I do not even have to insulate the pvc pipe and the cable keeps everything thawed out. I see extreme cold temps for several months.
Twenty some years ago I bought a wash with that type setup. I found it to be difficult to access your lines when you needed to repair a leak. In some instances I would have to cut away the pvc pipe to get to the leak. I eventually replaced it all with a wood trough that had total access from the top. It was much easier for me to locate leaks, replace lines etc.

soapy

Reaction score
I have only had to replace 2 fluid lines in 15 years between 4 locations. I can find which line it is by turning on each function in a bay a looking for the drip out of the electrical boxes. When I find the line I buy a new line and hook the new one to the old bad one with a coupler and pull it through to the bay box. My buildings do not allow me to have attic access to a trough with a removable cover.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I am thinking that if I go through and make sure I am insulated better than I was going into last winter, I will probably be alright. I will have to see if I can get my hands on some of that heat tape that was mentioned. When I checked my heat tape last year, it didn't seem like it was putting off much heat at all. Thanks for all the tips!