What's new

IBA Express

tom jones

Reaction score
I've been reading within the last few months about references to "IBA Express" car wash equipment. This equipment is suppose to be different from conveyer express car washes or "express exteriors". The articles refer to phased wash cycles and appear to indicate a mini partial conveyor system.

Does anyone know of an equipment manufacturer or dealer for "IBA Express" so that I may read and learn about my equipment options? I've read where "IBA Express" process up to 35 cars/hour per IBA but I did not read whether or not onsite personnel is required to run the "IBA Express". Also, what are the average equipment line costs per "IBA Express"?

I know this equipment is not the Express Exterior or Conveyor Express equipment because that equipment does up to 150 cars/hour per line and costs $750,000+.

Thanks. TJ

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I think Autec is pushing it pretty hard.

Side note: I think you have a high estimate on the cost of conveyor carwash equipment. I have not priced it, but I bet by the time you do two "in bay expresses" with all the bells and whistles and the belt conveyors you will be fairly close to the cost of a typical conveyor setup. IMO, If you have a higher volume site (4-5K/month or better) you are much better off with a conveyor.

SCS

Reaction score
I know Superior Car Wash Systems in Phoenix has just announced they have discontinued their touchless IBA claiming that the times have changed and people want express friction wash which they offer a "fastrac mini-express system" to replace IBA in a typical sized bay.

tom jones

Reaction score
thank you

Thanks for the leads to Autec and Superior Car Wash Systems in Phoenix

Joe Gillis

Reaction score
D N S has got a new one in Chesapeake VA. It's got a brush unit on one side and a touch free on the other. Real sharp.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why not head to the ICA show in Orland in April and check them all out for yourself. They'll all be in one big room and would LOVE to chat with you!

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
The concept of in-bay express involves taking a fixed-position layout pattern (in-bay) which keeps the product in one position and converting it into a process pattern where the production components are arranged according to the steps required in producing a product. Typically, product layouts are used in continuous production systems where the number of different products is small and the volume is high.

With the product layout, material handling is simplified by means of a conveyance system which results in easier production control and more productive floor space. The downside is that this approach requires a higher capital investment.

What one does is to essentially strip away certain functions from the gantry and arrange them according to the steps necessary to clean and dry the vehicle. For example:

Typical in-bay with on-board dryer: gantry does pre-soak, wash, rinse/wax and dry all in one place and takes, say, 5 minutes per vehicle which is 12 cars per hour.

Express in-bay: separate pre-soak arch, gantry to wash, separate rinse arch and separate dryer and the conveyance system moves the vehicle though the wash-bay in a stop-n-go manner. Separating the cycles out saves, say, 2 minutes from the process and the result is greater consistency and a process that can produce 20 cars per hour.

In my opinion, the best opportunity for in-bay express is the conversion of existing in-bays as opposed to building new.

Hope this helps.

Bob Roman
www.carwashplan.com

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I must admit I am a doubting Thomas on this concept. I plan on going to see one that is opening in Charlotte next month. I don't really understand how it could be much faster since essentially all that is added is a presoak arch to the configuration. I am eager to see if this does work.

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
This sounds gimicky and overly-complicated to me. Plus I believe the belt conveyor systems are quite expensive. If an operator has space for a 50' long process area, wouldn't he be better off putting in a 50' conveyor, which will wash 50 cph than the belt driven model which only produces 20 cph?

tom jones

Reaction score
Robert Roman,
Wow sounds complicated for only eliminating a couple of minutes per wash.

I realize the highest thru put will be a full conveyor.

For IBA Express with the complication in equipment you describe it sounds almost simpler to design a gravity fed mini conveyor two vehicle load wash per IBA mini tunnel. Especially if you don't have length for full tunnel.

I want to keep the unmanned nature of the IBA for our operation.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
In-Bay Express is not complicated, it does not require an attendant and it makes better use of existing space.

Moreover, maximum throughput is not always the number one objective of a carwash project.

In addition to in-bay express, I believe that you will see several other new forms of carwash come during the next year of two.