What's new

L4000 Arch Rotate Error

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
:confused:I have been having an intermittent problem with the arch on my Laser 4000. Every now and then on the initial presoak application, it will pass across the front of the car, attempt to turn 90 degrees to go down the drivers side and over rotate and crash into the blower nozzle cone. Then I get an 07 arch rotate failure on my pageer and have to go reset it.

It can wash 30 cars before it happens. I changed out the prox 16 switch first but didnt have a cable, so I had the techs come in and install a new cable. It worked a day and washed 40 cars then crashed.

They came back and found a bearing plate at the top of the gearbox that was loose and tightened that up. It worked for an hour and crashed. They then came back and changed out the VT board (ver 2.1 software) and installed a relay and base. It worked for 2 hours and has just crashed again.

I'm not only tired of paying for the tech visits, but am also pi**ing off quite a few customers. It's easier to just leave the cones out and let my other bays pick up the slack, but I know there must be a solution.

If any of you have had this issue, and tried something else, please let me know so I can pass it on to the techs.

Thanks

lag

Reaction score
Coming across the front of the car input x15 ,and x16 will be on ,when the arch rotates ,x15 ,and x16 go off ,then x16 will come back on.

Since you haver already have replaced the x16 prox,and cable, the following should be considered.

X16 signal wire in the festoon cable is bad.

X15 is sticking on.

You will need to have someone run it in manual ,and someone watch the inputs ,to try to track it down.

Reaction score
a thing I used to do when by my lonesome, put the laser away from the dryer with the arch mid bay, mid brige so it can rotate freely without hitting anything

63556- run diag yes turn on outputs module 3

turn on output 30 vfd fwd

turn on output for arch rotate cant remember # 3?

that will leave the arch spinning like a slow helicopter in the bay you can then go in and watch the inputs on the jo. make sure they go in this pattern . and if you do have a helper if everything looks good have them shake and tug the festoon a lil see if anything changes. hope that helps a little.
15,16 0deg
16 90deg
15,17 180deg
17 270deg

BayWatch

Jedi apprentice
Reaction score
Seen this before, spent a week working on it before I solved it. I found a short on 15,replaced the prox and cable and thought that was it. I adjusted and greased everything I could find, replace the gearbox and festoon cable. I sat and rotated the arm 90 degrees and checked the inputs, even had someone "helicopter" the arm while I watched the inputs. All inputs and lights would light up. I finally gave in and replaced the 16 and 17 proxs and instantly solved it. I assume the proxs were wearing out.

wolfe

PDQ Wolfe
Reaction score
The trolley cant do its job if it is not recieving signal replace the festoon cables solve your troubles..

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your ideas, past practices, etc. I relayed all of your suggestions to the technician on Friday. He was there for 8hrs, did a bunch of tests, etc. ran about 25 test washes and couldnt get it to repeat the rotate error. He found where the #15 and #16 prox cables going into the J2 cabinet were coroded, cut them, stripped them and reattached them.

It worked well all weekend and hasnt had a rotate problem yet. Hopefully that was the issue causing the intermittent error.