What's new

LaserWash 4000 Arch rotate fail ONLY during low pressure passes

spcw

Reaction score
LaserWash 4000 Arch rotate fail ONLY during low pressure passes

Fails during soap application and spot free rinse @ end cycle?

***It works FINE during HP rinse***

At Failure, it over-rotates missing one or two cam proxs??? (pins itself against wall)

Happens in 2 spots.... At rear driver turn(side to rear) & rear passenger turn(rear to side)

Any thoughts?

Thanks Soo much for any help !!!

scccllc

Reaction score
Interesting, we have had similar issues, intermittently. I am assuming this is happing on the second or third low pressure passes because the first passes are probably low pressure Pre soak, then HP rinse, then probably happens after this. Do you have play in your arm? The vibrations from the HP could cause the wires to intermittently fault or short out. We’ve narrowed ours down to festoon cables or too much play in arm. PDQ is supposed to come replace festoon cables today. And if that doesn’t fix we’ll have to rebuild arch rotate gear box.

Interested in what others have to say? I’m sure there are a lot of folks with knowledge of this machine on the site.

mgmtoo

Reaction score
Check the cam, and the prox that read the cam. I have to clean and paint my cam lobes from time to time, they like to rust.

spcw

Reaction score
Interesting, we have had similar issues, intermittently. I am assuming this is happing on the second or third low pressure passes because the first passes are probably low pressure Pre soak, then HP rinse, then probably happens after this. Do you have play in your arm? The vibrations from the HP could cause the wires to intermittently fault or short out. We’ve narrowed ours down to festoon cables or too much play in arm. PDQ is supposed to come replace festoon cables today. And if that doesn’t fix we’ll have to rebuild arch rotate gear box.

Interested in what others have to say? I’m sure there are a lot of folks with knowledge of this machine on the site.
Thank you very much for any light you folks might shed on my wash issue!

Further clarification / information​

Out of the last 250 cycles, the wash has had 6 “arch rotation” (over-rotation incidents)

2 incidents (the most recent) were during the first cycle which is just soap #1 Those both happened @ the rear driver’s side <turn 2> This over-rotation consisted of missing one prox and then hitting the bay wall.

4 incidents (first four) were during the last cycle “Spot free rinse” Those four incidents ALL occurred at the rear of car starting up the passenger side <turn 3> In this rotation /incident, because of the arm placement, it missed not one but 2 proximity switches before hitting the bay wall.

Years ago, we had problems with it missing Cam proximity switches and or the impact prox during the High-Pressure rinses due to wobble / slop in our gearbox.

For the current issue this has never happened during the HP cycle??

Both soap and Spot are set down slow to #3 speed or less

Never a problem @ turns #1 or # 4(home)

Issues happened on BOTH sides in rear of bay.

A re-start and reboot of JO cabinet (big red switch) gets us working for another dozen or so washes??

Thanks for ALL Comments and Thoughts

spcw

Reaction score
Also...more info:

Yes.... the rear of the bay is where All 6 incidents have occurred, however I've seen from our DVR footage a rear bay failure on a tiny (13 foot long) Honda Fit and then a rear bay failure on on an F250 extend cab(20 ft long)....Which...means the bridge festoon cables were in VERY different locations for each car's failure?????

Zal

Reaction score
make sure swivel above gearbox is not leaking - this does happen, on low pressure you make suds or foam and it blocks the small prox eyes on the rotation gearbox, if you get the wrong combination of eyes blocked will create what you are describing. Otherwise you need to monitor input lights in JO box when it happens, before resetting

ewash

Reaction score
try having a person operating the joy stick in service mode while another person slides the festoon back and forth at same time.
I've had that happen to me in the past where a wire was going bad in the festoon and it only happened intermittently.

PEI

Reaction score
You might want to try moving the X17 Prox a little closer to the cam. It would best explain why this is only happening on low pressure functions and at the rear. While you are at it make sure the connections are in good shape and there's no green corrosion visible on the Prox Cable.

Zal

Reaction score
Also replace every prox cable on the cam proxes. While the j- box is open check for green corrosion on all wires. This is a good place to start chasing intermittent problems. Clean wago block terminals with electrical contact cleaner, trim a bit off the wires and reterminate. My experience is this high resistance creates intermittent problems- but change the cables as you go since this is pretty standard practice

STXCW

Reaction score
If it is only happening in the rear, I would lean more towards an issue with signal wires on the festoon cable.

Is your straight swivel above the arch gear box leaking?