What's new

Laserwash 4000 gearbox noise

sterlingh20

Reaction score
The gearbox on the trolley is making noise when it moves left and right. The wash is only 4 years old, is the gearbox going bad or will changing the oil fix the problem?

Randy

Reaction score
The gear box is going bad.

raisetheprice

Reaction score
I've put a grease zerk in place of the drain plug and pumped grease in there. Not too much, try a little then move it. Keep adding until the noise quiets some. I've also done the same thing to the arch gearbox when it starts to drift (slightly rotate while under high pressure). Just run it until it fails. I had one make noise for 2 years before it went.

sterlingh20

Reaction score
It will make noise if it hasn't run in several hours but after one wash it is quiet again until it sits for awhile.

mac

Reaction score
You might just be low on oil for the gearbox. The level should be slightly above half full.

lag

Reaction score
If topping off ,or replacing your oil does not help ,you could have a bearing going bad inside the gearbox. Usually it is the one on the end of the shaft ,that the motor connects to.

As stated above the gearbox could last a long time making noise ,but it could also fail tomorrow.So you may want to consider replacing it ,then rebuild the one you remove from service. You can get all the bearings ,and oil seals at any good bearing supply place. You will then have a spare for the next time.

We rebuild all gearboxes we remove, the only time we don't is if the gear,or shaft is damaged.

ibspuds

Reaction score
Replace it!!! I waited and just Saturday on a busy weekend the gearbox ceased up. Should have, could have.... See what happened to me!!!

oasis car wash

Reaction score
laserwash gearbox

I have has the same problem. No issues yet other then the noise. My tech said it could last another 5 years the way it is. Just keep an eye on the oil, and change it reguarly.

newboy

newbot
Reaction score
there is $15.00 bearing on the end of the worm shaft of the gear box. remove the 4 bolt bearing retainer and you will see the bearing. it is held on with a snap ring. replace this bearing and the noise should go away.
this same fix works on the bridge gear box.

Wes

Reaction score
Don't worry about noise. alot of gear boxes do that and still last along time be sure to check the oil if it is low add oil and let it go till it quits

Wally

Reaction score
Does anyone know of an outside source for these gear boxes? Mine are getting some age on them and I'm getting concerned.