What's new

Laserwash 4000 questions

BayWatch

Jedi apprentice
Reaction score
Correct me if Im wrong, but the 2nd dip switch on the LaserMind swaps between the two gearbox sizes and if the arm is set for one size and then the switch is swapped, then the arm will end up in this odd angled position. Only know this because I received a loaner once that had this happen. Also, if the arm is angle so the spray is not at a direct perpendicular, but a 35 degree so it is pushing the "dirt" forward, wont that be better than norm?

petitemoose

Reaction score
Also, if the arm is angle so the spray is not at a direct perpendicular, but a 35 degree so it is pushing the "dirt" forward, wont that be better than norm?

I also thought that having the spray arm "tilted" it would help remove the dirt by adding an extra bit of "friction" and also add a reflective quality to the rinse process getting the water off the car a bit faster. My buddy said it "looked bad" and would rather have it straight. So, I straightened it.
I was able to get the spray arm straight by moving the prox switch target on the shaft. It was actually rather easily accomplished. There is only one set screw holding the cam assembly in place ( which is probably why it moved in the first place). I loosened it and then gently tapped it by using a hammer and drift. I moved it about 1/4" to 1/2" and that fixed it.
The dryer issue is patched temporarily. I adjusted the "Home" target a bit towards the exit to lessen the gap between the two. This is effective but the result of doing so is that the main carriage is now ever so slightly tapping the dryer every pass. Obviously, this cannot continue for long and it won't. We will be replacing the targets, and adjusting the prox switches so they come within 1/4" of the targets rather than being 1/2" to 1" away as they are currently. I couldn't do this earlier because the targets are all rusty and warped. I was able to straighten the dryer on the rails by adjusting the driver side stop one bolt hole forward. It is now within an 1/8" of being square on the rails. The idler wheels do not look worn or off camber at all. I'll take some measurements of the wheels next time I'm there to make sure.

Keep-it Kleen

Me, Myself, and I
Reaction score
Agreed, the arch rotate cam is the problem on the arch, loosen the two set screws and tap it in the reverse of what you think. (honest)
On the dryer, check the rollers, sounds like they maybe bad. The prox switches can be set to like 1/16" behind the magnets. ( use a straight edge)
Worked PDQ for many years in California.....

escapement

Reaction score
Obviously I'm jumping into this thread a little late but I wanted to make a few points about some of the topics that have been discussed.

PDQ isn't set up to give tech support direct to end users in the field; that job is delegated to their distributors. If you called GM headquarters in Detroit and told them you were having trouble with your Chevy, they'd tell you to call your dealer. Same thing with PDQ.

Also, a question was asked about why PDQ would set a prox. switch 3/4" away from a flag; they didn't. Based on your description this is an old machine ("the targets are all rusty and warped") that has undoubtedly been serviced many times by various individuals. Someone monkeying with the machine, possibly someone not even affiliated with PDQ or the local distributor, is who most likely set the sensor that far from the flag.

petitemoose

Reaction score
Actually, I was having a problem with my Dodge a few years ago and I Did call Detroit. They patched me through to their 5 star customer service department that were more than happy to help me out. My question was answered and my truck was fixed with genuine Mopar parts. You see, that's a sure fire sign of a company that cares about it's CUSTOMERS. You raised a good point but unfortunately, the point proven wasn't beneficial to PDQ as you had hoped. Maybe GM won't help their end user but Chrysler will!
Secondly, the repair crew that had been "maintaining" this machine for the past three years were "Professionals" hired by the local Distributor and trained by PDQ. Looks like that point hit the dirt too.
Look, I'm not here to sling hash, but I won't allow "Bovine fluff" either. Bottom line is PDQ Customer service does not exist to the end user. That's not opinion or supposition, it's fact. Those wanting to buy a PDQ might be better informed if they know this fact up front. Wouldn't you agree?
I had questions and asked them here on this board. I got responses and coupled that with my years of experience with other machines and have been able to get the machine running better and more dependably than the "qualified" people did that were maintaining the machine for money.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
Before I purchased my iba I called all the companies on my short list. I acted as though I was a current owner of their unit looking for tech support. I wanted to see how each company responded to my needs. PDQ was on that list along with others. Anyone considering a major purchase of equipment should do the same in my opinion. I went with WashWorld...no regrets.

escapement

Reaction score
PDQ isn't set up to give technical support to end users in the field, that is a fact. The auto industry analogy was a bad example, I agree. But the question still remains in my mind why you didn't call the distributor and ask them. Are they really that bad, they don't even have a technician or two who works in the office to help out customers over the phone?

I've seen plenty of god-awful service work from a full range of companies. I know of Washworld customers who switched over their local PDQ distributor for service, and vice versa. It's the kind of work where there is very little if any supervision in the field and laziness and incompetence seems to come out of the woodwork. And of course sometimes customers expect miracles, or they don't want to pay, or both.

I remember one time I was helping on a turnover from one service company (well known manufacturer not affiliated with Washworld or PDQ) to the one I worked for at a site where one of our customers had a bought a site with a 4000 from a former customer of ours who had switched service companies to save money.

Among a lot of other things that were wrong, I recall all the tires being flat (not totally flat, just enough pressure to squeak by) and the weep valve wasn't working. I wrote down everything I found wrong and gave the list to the guy in charge of the site, and then went over it with the tech the other company had set out to let him know what was up (the new owner wouldn't take possession until the old owner had fixed everything, and we weren't authorized to work by the old owner). I gave him all the specs of the weep valve, normally open, etc, even showed him one I had on my van so he could get the DEMA model number.

About a week later I stopped in to see how things were going. The tires were still flat and the other tech had installed a normally closed valve for the weep.

Anyway, if the guy that was monkeying with your friends site worked for the PDQ distributor, I'm sorry. From what I've seen all companies could do a better job training and supervising the techs and install guys in the field.

lag

Reaction score
Anyway, if the guy that was monkeying with your friends site worked for the PDQ distributor, I'm sorry. From what I've seen all companies could do a better job training and supervising the techs and install guys in the field.
Your last line is the best reason I can think for PDQ to be more helpful to the end user.

Alot of distributors techs are learning on the job ,without proper training ,and what results are issues like rails out of square,and NC solenoids being used instead of NO on weep systems.

I have been around PDQ machines since the J0 were blue. In the beginning when they were hungry,you could call tech support whenever you wished,and you received alot of help,without any hassle.

I know PDQ is alot bigger now,and have changed owners,and would have to have 100 phone techs to Field all the questions coming in. I do not blame them for their distributors issues ,but I do feel that they could indeed be more helpful to the end user,or do a better job of picking their distributors.

I will admit there are good distributors out there,and the first call should always be to the distributor,but if they are unable to help you get the machine up and running ,then PDQ needs to open their phone lines.

We do all our own repairs,and troubleshooting,so PDQ not opening up their phones to us is no longer a big deal,but I would guess alot of people could really use not good support ,but exceptional support,and they should except no less,or the next machine they buy may not have a PDQ decal on it.

Just my 2 cents.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
In light of the stiff competition in the IBA market I cannot understand how PDQ can continue their current system for support of their machines. I can almost understand reluctance from a manufacturer to help independent service techs except when the owner of the equipment gets involved. Many operators are very handy and can do much of the needed repair or maintenance work on their machines themselves. To force them to deal with their distributor for every little issue or deny their chosen service tech information that the operator requests is not very customer friendly.

kingsgatecarwash

Reaction score
PDQ end user / operator support

I know this is a very old post, but many people will read it as they dig for information. I thought it would only be fair (to PDQ) to let people know of a change in regards to end user/operator support by PDQ.

In my opinion, I think they finally realized they were losing customers to WW and other manufacturers due to the "call your distributor only" mindset and made a change.

As an operator/owner of PDQ's products, you now can receive support directly from PDQ, even on weekends. Sure, they would like you to go through your distributor, as that is what the distributor is intended for. But if you have a situation where a. you don't have a distributor in your area, b. have issues with your distributor, or c. simply cannot get in touch with your technician at the distribution level, it is nice to know that they are there now to support their product 100%.

That being said, especially if you are new to the industry or not very mechanically inclined, it is essential to have a good distributor behind your product. More important than the product itself. If you are a newbie, and do not have excellent distributor support it could be the difference of success or failure. Ask anyone who has been through it. They will agree 100% of the time.

gearhead

Reaction score
PDQ support

I have to say that the support I have recieved from PDQ has been very good. I have called them directly and they have delt with me the same. On problems I have time on, I use their website signed in as an owner and present my issues on the forum. If we cant get it resolved there they tell me to call into them. If I dont recall ever being reffered to a dist by them. (Im just a wash owner)

kingsgatecarwash

Reaction score
PDQ support policy change 2009 (ish)

Gearhead---You are correct. The only reason i posted the post prior to yours was because the prior posts from 2008 were made before PDQ made the policy change. Earky in the decade or so, they made a "distributor only" support policy, but then around 2009 they pulled a 180 and again began to supoort operators. They also added the "operator network or forum (which was a good move in itself). Some say too little, too late as Washworld, Belanger and others took a fairly large slice of their market share. Time will tell. But this was a move they needed to make to match the level of support given by some of the other manufacturers. I know for sure that Belanger will give support to operators for their products, but cannot say for sure about others. Belabger may not have a toll free number, but I have seen situations where they troubleshoot a 10yo machine at no charge, and techs even giving out their personal cell phone number(s). So hats off to these companies going the extra mile. :)

mac

Reaction score
Well they have changed. I tried to get some tech support and buy parts from them a few years ago. They refused to talk to me AND refused to sell me anything on any terms. Even had a lawyer send them a fancy letter, all to no avail. And yes, for you insipid nit pickers out there, I am a service company not affialiated with PDQ. But can you imagine you not being able to buy a part for your car, truck, or house because you were not associated with them? Only in this socalled industry.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
As far I am aware, since PDQ has become a sponsor they have had a tech or two monitor the Forum, providing detailed help and advise a call if you can't get it.