What's new

New Build - is it really worth it?

AnalyticWash

Reaction score
That would be the busiest and highest grossing 4/2 in the world.
Its definitely a stretch for most but not completely unreasonable if they are in a market that allows for premium pricing. ($22-25 top wash)

You will need to average about 100 cpd on the IBA to hit it. Average ticket needs to be around $15/car.

Edit: local neighborhood better be full of rich people with dirty cars...

ShinePro

Reaction score
Construction costs have gotten stupid.
The equipment has not. But land and buildings have just gotten out of reach for most business start ups.

We have built two buildings in last 4 years for another business. The one in 2020 not so bad. The one in 2024 almost triple the sq ft cost of the first.

Add in the double interest rate.

Why do you think these big tunnel chains own their construction company as well?
🤔

liftheavy

Reaction score

liftheavy

Reaction score
Don't do what?
buying units from china just because the upfront cost is cheaper.

how do you know the quality of the machines and the quality of the washes it puts out?
how do you know if the company will be around 3-5 years from now if you need spare parts?
what kind of service support can you get if something breaks and you don't know how to fix it?
is there any other car washes in the USA that has this in operation that you can go and check out/talk to the owner?

Shinewash Tech

Reaction score
buying units from china just because the upfront cost is cheaper.

how do you know the quality of the machines and the quality of the washes it puts out?
how do you know if the company will be around 3-5 years from now if you need spare parts?
what kind of service support can you get if something breaks and you don't know how to fix it?
is there any other car washes in the USA that has this in operation that you can go and check out/talk to the owner?
Good points.
1. You could go and inspect the machines from the car wash owners who bought the machines from China (if they're willing to let you do so.). I'm not talking about buying machines from a random trading company who barely know anything about their products or car wash machines in general. Instead, you should choose to work with the well-known brands and manufacturers with factory, support team, etc.
2. Well. I think it doesn't really matter if it's a local company or a China one, as long as they are at a similar scale, reputation and stuff.
3. I kinda have to agree with you on this. Buying machines locally can get you better support for sure, but for Chinese company, it's also quite viable to do it with video calls and such. Plus, we do send tech guy overseas if the case can't be solved by video calls. We've only had couple of cases which we had to send people to the site.
We've also heard stories that owners bought machines from China and got nearly 0 support afterwards. My suggestion is in my next point..

4. Yes, popular brands/manufacturers including us have many of their machines sold to the US every year. We're willing to talk to the owners to let you see the actual machine and you would have a chance to know more about the quality, services, etc.

Don't listen to what we/others say, go find out yourself if you're interested.

Last edited:

traveler17

Reaction score
Good points.
1. You could go and inspect the machines from the car wash owners who bought the machines from China (if they're willing to let you do so.). I'm not talking about buying machines from a random trading company who barely know anything about their products or car wash machines in general. Instead, you should choose to work with the well-known brands and manufacturers with factory, support team, etc.
2. Well. I think it doesn't really matter if it's a local company or a China one, as long as they are at a similar scale, reputation and stuff.
3. I kinda have to agree with you on this. Buying machines locally can get you better support for sure, but for Chinese company, it's also quite viable to do it with video calls and such. Plus, we do send tech guy overseas if the case can't be solved by video calls. We've only had couple of cases which we had to send people to the site.
We've also heard stories that owners bought machines from China and got nearly 0 support afterwards. My suggestion is in my next point..

4. Yes, popular brands/manufacturers including us have many of their machines sold to the US every year. We're willing to talk to the owners to let you see the actual machine and you would have a chance to know more about the quality, services, etc.

Don't listen to what we/others say, go find out yourself if you're interested.
These sound great but where you lose me is IF a tech had to fly overseas to fix a wash that I can’t. How long is that gonna be? I go down there’s a tech there the next day.

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
May I ask why you feel that way?
I already pointed out one big reason: $400K for 3 bays of self service equipment and support equipment is highway robbery and borderline fraud.

I just ball parked some numbers. Very well equipped setup(not including changers and water heater) would be around a third of that with out shipping and install.

Last edited:

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I love these conversations about Chinese car wash machines; seriously??? Would you buy a chinese car if there were no dealer network to service it? IMO, the overall success of my car wash operation is due to the wash I purchased( Washworld Razor made in Depere, Wisconsin, USA) and the distributor I had install and service the machine ( Autowash maintenance of Malden, MA).

The idea of buying a Chinese car wash to save money seems more like an unsophisticated 'investor' dream than a plan created by a hands-on car wash owner/operator.

Shinewash Tech

Reaction score
These sound great but where you lose me is IF a tech had to fly overseas to fix a wash that I can’t. How long is that gonna be? I go down there’s a tech there the next day.
Most issues can be fixed with a video calls from our previous experience. And if you're in the USA, we have agent there.

Shinewash Tech

Reaction score
I love these conversations about Chinese car wash machines; seriously??? Would you buy a chinese car if there were no dealer network to service it? IMO, the overall success of my car wash operation is due to the wash I purchased( Washworld Razor made in Depere, Wisconsin, USA) and the distributor I had install and service the machine ( Autowash maintenance of Malden, MA).

The idea of buying a Chinese car wash to save money seems more like an unsophisticated 'investor' dream than a plan created by a hands-on car wash owner/operator.
I wouldn't debate that. If you're getting maintainance services periodically for a reasonable price or even free, then that's really great.