What's new

New to the Carwash business

Jimmyhd

Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's input and do not want to sound like I'm not here to take the advice given.
The new washes built nearby except both membership and single wash payments.

My plan of attack was to get this place cleaned up, new paint where it's needed, get all new faces for the bay controllers and get the credit cards back up and running.
All of the bay equipment hasn't run in about a year so I'm expecting repairs will be needed as I start bringing things back up.

As far as the auto wash goes, what I have been told is that it has not been operational in about 3 years. Ill be honest I know nothing about this thing. I will get it powered up and see what it will take to get it going, it definitely will not hurt to give it a shot but I'm not very confident since it has been sitting for so long idle.

What are the go to, bill acceptors? The bays have MEI AE2412 U3 and some of them are not working. I believe I read these are discontinued? What should i replace them with?

soonermajic

Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's input and do not want to sound like I'm not here to take the advice given.
The new washes built nearby except both membership and single wash payments.

My plan of attack was to get this place cleaned up, new paint where it's needed, get all new faces for the bay controllers and get the credit cards back up and running.
All of the bay equipment hasn't run in about a year so I'm expecting repairs will be needed as I start bringing things back up.

As far as the auto wash goes, what I have been told is that it has not been operational in about 3 years. Ill be honest I know nothing about this thing. I will get it powered up and see what it will take to get it going, it definitely will not hurt to give it a shot but I'm not very confident since it has been sitting for so long idle.

What are the go to, bill acceptors? The bays have MEI AE2412 U3 and some of them are not working. I believe I read these are discontinued? What should i replace them with?
Do NOT replace those Mei's. They're great! Randy, on here, can refurbish them for you.

427camaro

Reaction score
New guy here looking for some advice and direction.
I’m taking over a car wash that has been neglected for some time now.

I would like to add new CC devices at each bay. Which one do y’all recommend?

The bay control panels need to be redone. Has anyone done the push button style over the rotary switch?

I am open to any recommendations. The place is getting a full refurbish including paint.

Lastly I will be removing the automatic wash to open up the large bay back to self service. They have multiple new auto washes in the area within 2-3 miles. Is it worth trying to sell this auto wash or just scrap it? View attachment 11390 View attachment 11391 View attachment 11392 View attachment 11393 View attachment 11394
JUST a suggestion but if you do spring for NEW COINBOXES I would recommend going to a SS box that is a high security model that is 7 gauge or thicker up to 1/4 inch thick or 3/8 thick stainless steel. 7 Gauge would be the lightest thickness I would suggest due to vandalism and theft. I would paint the CW walls either SNOW WHITE or very light RAINBOW colors for better light reflection and brightness in the bays. Great lighting and security cameras, you can never have enough are also recommended with an Internet connection so you can monitor the wash from home. A good security system is also a great idea. Multiple change machines - at least two - four is better, would be nice. A phone app to supplement card readers is also nice. Changers that take cards is also nice. Multiple ways to pay, multiple duplicate pay options, that is all good. I DO NOT recommend accepting QUARTERS OR DOLLAR COINS as they promote theft. Just make sure you empty all CASH from the premises EACH and EVERY NIGHT or someone else will do that for you on the ONE NIGHT you forget. BTW the more wash options you have: Wax, rainbow wax, spot free rinse, car blower dryer, pre soak, tire cleaner, vending, coke machines, etc. you have ONSITE the more $$$$$ you will make. The mini-tunnel could be a money maker if your run it 8-5 daily. Security is number ONE. Steel panels, chain link and rebar under your roof also helps from roof top breakin attacks.

OurTown

Reaction score
JUST a suggestion but if you do spring for NEW COINBOXES I would recommend going to a SS box that is a high security model that is 7 gauge or thicker up to 1/4 inch thick or 3/8 thick stainless steel. 7 Gauge would be the lightest thickness I would suggest due to vandalism and theft.

Where do you get boxes that thick? 7 gauge is the thickest I have ever seen.

OurTown

Reaction score
I DO NOT recommend accepting QUARTERS OR DOLLAR COINS as they promote theft. Just make sure you empty all CASH from the premises EACH and EVERY NIGHT or someone else will do that for you on the ONE NIGHT you forget.
You think that accepting coins is more of a target than bills?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Jimmy can you share where this wash is located yet?
If you’re in a good area and there are no signs of previous vandalism I wouldn’t bother upgrading the meter doors. It is a vulnerable spot however so I would frequently clean out the bills from the doors and install vibration sensors from YoLink or somewhere similar.

You likely have a Coleman super saver. That’s a good pump unit with the exception of medium pressure presoak which is a useless function.

You could do a lot to that place for 10-20k. You can get new door decals from STA, get new LED6 timers and it looks like you already have some cryptopay swipers. Acid wash the place and get all the functions working good. See if the place has LED lights or if they still have metal halide in place. Post more pictures when you get a chance

Last edited:

Jimmyhd

Reaction score
I will stop by and get some better pictures this evening. It is located in Luling Louisiana one block off of a main highway. Vandalism isn’t really an issue here but is always a possibility. I live about 1/4 mile away from it so I have eyes on it all the time.
It has high bay led canopy lights and a newer Hikvision camera system.
I need to give it a face lift because it has been the same dingy color and is know for not being kept up. I would like to put a different color on the facia and bricks along with doing something on bay walls.
Is there any type of epoxy or coating I could use to paint the brick walls in the bays?
I already have a company lined up to come acid and pressure wash the whole place.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
That site is pretty nice! I don't see any major equipment expenses except for the auto. Biggest issue would be finding a decent Coleman tech for the Efusion. But you are only 5 hours from the Coleman factory so a factory tech may be a good option. I bet 10K will get it running well and covered with a new wrap.

Menu boards, automatic wraps, and all decals are available from stacarwash.com

I'm guessing extrutech is out of the budget but if not that would look good on the walls, along with painting the columns white. Before you paint you need 15 gallons of aluminum brightener to thoroughly and prep all the walls and allow to thoroughly several days (or a week) before painting.The dryer it is the better the paint will bond.

I would find something to do with that truck bay to keep them out, they can make a huge greasy mess. If I see them at my wash they are allowed to wash off the cab only, no engine or fifth wheel coupling washing. Maybe someone here has a better idea.

Jimmyhd

Reaction score
That site is pretty nice! I don't see any major equipment expenses except for the auto. Biggest issue would be finding a decent Coleman tech for the Efusion. But you are only 5 hours from the Coleman factory so a factory tech may be a good option. I bet 10K will get it running well and covered with a new wrap.

Menu boards, automatic wraps, and all decals are available from stacarwash.com

I'm guessing extrutech is out of the budget but if not that would look good on the walls, along with painting the columns white. Before you paint you need 15 gallons of aluminum brightener to thoroughly and prep all the walls and allow to thoroughly several days (or a week) before painting.The dryer it is the better the paint will bond.

I would find something to do with that truck bay to keep them out, they can make a huge greasy mess. If I see them at my wash they are allowed to wash off the cab only, no engine or fifth wheel coupling washing. Maybe someone here has a better idea.
I’m thinking of giving the white epoxy on the walls a try so I can get up and running then possibly get extrutech once we are making money.
I got some samples of Nuwall and his other product C3 I think the name is. I’m going to test those and see how they do before I purchase enough to do the whole place.

What does everyone do for trash? Do you have cans in each bay? Dumpster on site?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Depending on the amount of business you get you'll need a two to four yard Dumpster on site (one dump/week) and a can at each vacuum island. My personal experience has been the bigger the cans and the more of them you have the more garbage you'll get, so don't overdo them. My high volume wash has just two islands and I use one 30 gallon can at each vacuum island. My lower volume wash has five single vacuum islands with a total of five 30 gallon cans. It does half the business of the high volume wash but I get more garbage there.

Or, you can try what some have and just not have garbage cans. It's unorthodox but maybe worth a try since you're new.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
customers and non-customers alike abuse the trash cans so bad that it gets very disheartening for me. I have reduced my trash cans to 1 30 gallon at one of my two vacuum islands. This is the only way that I can keep my dumpster from being over full on a consistent basis, which incurs an extra fee from the dumpster company. Yes it's a bit of an inconvenience for customers who are at the other vacuum island without the trashcan but they still find it if they really need it. I also have gotten in the habit of not dumping the trashcan right before we leave the car wash in the later afternoon. For example, if it's 2/3 full, We leave it and find that it's always full in the morning whether we start off completely empty or 2/3 full at say 6 PM. The amount of people dumping garbage gets out of hand quickly with the more cans put out. Sad but true.

Keno

Reaction score
I have customers dumping trash on the ground with 2 trash cans per vac Island, and the trash cans literally a car width or less from them. Really don't want to know how much trash would be on the ground if we reduced the number of cans and made them walk to throw away trash.

Jimmyhd

Reaction score
I have customers dumping trash on the ground with 2 trash cans per vac Island, and the trash cans literally a car width or less from them. Really don't want to know how much trash would be on the ground if we reduced the number of cans and made them walk to throw away trash.
Yea it’s one of those things your damned if you do you damned if you don’t. Disrespectful people can really make it hard to be in business sometimes no matter what it is!

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
For example, if it's 2/3 full, We leave it and find that it's always full in the morning whether we start off completely empty or 2/3 full at say 6 PM

Same here!

One time I rehabbed a wash and at each island there was a space for 2-30 gallon cans. All eight cans were full every morning. I poured the space full of concrete and left room for one 30 gallon can. Our garbage volume we had to deal with was literally cut in half overnight. Trash can teepees with small holes can help also.

Keno

Reaction score
Same here!

One time I rehabbed a wash and at each island there was a space for 2-30 gallon cans. All eight cans were full every morning. I poured the space full of concrete and left room for one 30 gallon can. Our garbage volume we had to deal with was literally cut in half overnight. Trash can teepees with small holes can help also.
May have to try the teepee, but currently we have the stainless dome covers. If the trash doesn't fit, they'll just leave it around there somewhere.