What's new

Painting PVC Panel Walls

liftheavy

Reaction score
has anyone attempted to paint their tunnel walls that's already lined with PVC panel walls?

we are about to acquire a site with white panel walls, and would like to make the tunnel black so the light show will pop more.

is there anything that will make them last, or should i just tear it down and order black PVC panel walls?

TMoliver

Reaction score
I would suggest that you ask your tunnel supply to upgrade the LED's to Higher output or double up on them

washnshine

Reaction score
I would not paint PVC. Also - I would not recommend black paint for bay or tunnel interiors.

liftheavy

Reaction score
what do you guys think of putting vinyl wraps on top of the PVC panels, the same ones used to wrap cars? wraps on a car is expected to last around 3-7 years and that's with you driving it around and leaving it underneath the sun from time to time, whereas a car wash tunnel would be in much more controlled environment. I reckon a 100ft tunnel I can do in about $2K.

our usual setup will have about 5 color synchronized floodlights on both sides of the tunnel in addition to colored LED lights under every major application in addition to a portal arch.

New Washdog

Reaction score
what do you guys think of putting vinyl wraps on top of the PVC panels, the same ones used to wrap cars? wraps on a car is expected to last around 3-7 years and that's with you driving it around and leaving it underneath the sun from time to time, whereas a car wash tunnel would be in much more controlled environment. I reckon a 100ft tunnel I can do in about $2K.

our usual setup will have about 5 color synchronized floodlights on both sides of the tunnel in addition to colored LED lights under every major application in addition to a portal arch.
Even though there is paint made specifically for PVC I'm sure its not formulated to withstand a car wash environment. I'm willing to bet it wouldn't last and turn into a maintenance nightmare. And regarding wrap the tunnel. Lots of car wrap manufacturers say to avoid car washes. My guess is that even though tunnel wash environment is tightly controlled it is also a chemical rich environment which could lead to issues.. I would also say that $2k is not even close to the cost to wrap a tunnel.

Good luck in whatever path you take.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Buy a very small sample of the wrap you intend to use and put it up in the bay to test how long it will last. I applied a vinyl car wrap to my Hamilton cashier A few years ago when I reloaded my automatic wash. The sides that face the car wash peeled pretty badly and I am already faced with replacing those sections. And keep in mind that is not inside the wash but outside about 8 feet away from the door opening.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
Even though there is paint made specifically for PVC I'm sure its not formulated to withstand a car wash environment. I'm willing to bet it wouldn't last and turn into a maintenance nightmare. And regarding wrap the tunnel. Lots of car wrap manufacturers say to avoid car washes. My guess is that even though tunnel wash environment is tightly controlled it is also a chemical rich environment which could lead to issues.. I would also say that $2k is not even close to the cost to wrap a tunnel.

Good luck in whatever path you take.
I’d guess he’d be looking at $20k+ to wrap .

I got a price for $3500 for a van

washnshine

Reaction score
PVC is durable and low maintenance- other than cleaning. I wouldn’t put something less durable on top of it.

liftheavy

Reaction score
I’d guess he’d be looking at $20k+ to wrap .

I got a price for $3500 for a van
bulk wrap material is actually quite inexpensive, its the labor that's majority of the cost.

it seems like everyone's consensus is that it's not wise to try anything slick like this.

i did have a professional painter who specializes in car washes tell me he's done one and it has lasted 7 years so far, and he will guarantee his work for up to 2 years... he quoted me for a 125ft tunnel to do the ceiling and the walls for $15K.

putting up pvc panel walls would've costed about $10K-$12K in material and around $5-10k labor unless i had myself and the team do it.

i suppose the simple solution is to leave it alone :whistle:

washnshine

Reaction score
i suppose the simple solution is to leave it alone :whistle:
I like that idea. Keep it clean and that will be the cheapest and longest lasting option. Also - lights and light shows are nice, but if you are putting out a killer product - clean, shiny, glossy polished cars with wet looking paint,
you will have customers for life. Don’t let the sizzle get in the way of the steak.

liftheavy

Reaction score
we're acquiring the site, so its always customary for us to redo majority of it to fit the "look" of our brand. our chemistry and equipment setup is same in all of our sites so the only thing to do is the small cosmetics like this