What's new

Please HELP new IBA owner with low revenue & high traffic counts

sterlingh20

Reaction score
Hi, I am a new owner of a 2 bay laserwash in San Antonio TX, I bought the wash in April of this year and my revenue has been extremely low. I really need the help of anyone on this forum for advice on what to do at this point. The wash was built in 2004, the previous owner stated on tax returns and income statements $100K for 2005 and $110K for $2006. Since april I have been getting $5,000 on average per month including vac and vending. The past month with few days of rain was only $4,000. Since I bought the wash I added 2 fragramatics vacuums, a full sized 39 selection vending machine and the image enhancement package for the 4000. The pricing is $10, $8, $6, and $5. The total washes purchased since April is 4,000. The traffic count is 18,000 on west ave and 5,000 on the street in front of the car wash. What improvements do you suggest I do to get the counts higher? The car wash is tucked behind another shopping center so it doesn't have the greatest exposure from the main road west ave but there is an old car wash sign that is over 100ft tall in front of the car wash the faces west ave. I have to put money in the car wash each month to keep it open, this is just not working out, is this business seasonal? What months generate the most revenue? I would appreciate suggestions that would help get this business back on it's feet.

Reaction score
What volume was you given when you bought it. UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT BANNER.
BTW, the entire retail industry sucks right now.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you have a wash on a little traveled side street with virtually no visibility from the main road. I don't think the wash should have ever been built in a location like that. I wish I had some suggestions to help you out, but you just can't fix a bad location.

MEP001

Reaction score
You'd be better off with a mailer and free or heavy discount coupons. Make sure there's a map and clear directions to it.

It sounds like a greedy distributor duped someone into building in a poor spot. I've also noticed that double Lasers in Texas rarely do well. Keep it attended as much as possible, perhaps offer services like hand-prep.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Your purchase timing of year was a tough time to buy a wash.
I don't know about your area but in my area summer/fall is not all that great.
Try wrapping a couple of large neon bands around the top of the wash (to bring attention to your wash).
Offer a reduced price after 6:00 p.m. till 7:00 a.m., say 2.00 off per wash.
Buy a used van (in good shape but don't spend a fortune) and have all sides vinyl wrapped with your car wash name, logo, location address and special evening pricing. SPLASH IT to attract attention.
Make sure it is running and licensed. Move it around the area periodically so that the city can't say it is a permanent sign.
But mainly keep it at your site as visiable as possible to the street.
Offer a towel drying (http://www.autocareforum.com/soapy-gray4.html ) as Soapy offers. It sounds like a winner.
If a you can afford it maybe an attendant to prep all cars and dry all windows. Advertise this on your van and by mailings to households, hand outs to stores and commercial accounts in the area.
This business is NOT as easy as most people think.
Good luck.

Andy

Reaction score
You need to advertise!! …especially since you’re not on the main road. Use direct mail offering a free car wash. The community needs to know where you’re at. The best way to get lots of people in, in the shortest amount of time is by offering a free car wash.

Next, I would purchase some additional lighting for your bays and under the vacuum canopies. It appears way too dark in those bays. Light that place up like Time Square!!

Advertise and they will come. Good luck!!

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Has anything changed in your immediate market? A new express tunnel perhaps? I can not see how business has dropped this much in a year's time unless that happened.

You have a tough job ahead of you. This does not look like a good location for a double auto. But if faced with ownership of this site I would (in this order):

Make sure you're putting out the best car you can. It needs to be clean, dry and shiny.

The place needs to be as neat as a pin.

Offer some unique services to increase perceived value such as soapy's free towels & wheel prep station. I have a bug remover station, too. Free vacs might be worth considering, too.

Consider an adjustment of your regular prices. I'm sure comments will differ whether that is necessary but personally I think your chances to gain traction improve when the customer thinks they are getting a good deal. Maybe - 5,6,7,8?

Try to prime the pump with a load of free/almost free washes. You have one chance to wow them when they come in, so everything needs to be right. The customer needs to feel like your place is such a good deal that it is worth driving out of the way to visit and they tell all their friends.

Good luck.

raisetheprice

Reaction score
You'd be better off with a mailer and free or heavy discount coupons. Make sure there's a map and clear directions to it.

It sounds like a greedy distributor duped someone into building in a poor spot. I've also noticed that double Lasers in Texas rarely do well. Keep it attended as much as possible, perhaps offer services like hand-prep.
Funny, We've got two of these...beginning to think the same thing after 8 years. I think the problem is that people see you washing 2 cars at a time, call the distributor and badabing they're asking the same questions Sterling is. We have two sites, one was a solid double (not a home run) and the other is still on deck. It's all about location, period end of story. We were the only 2-bay in the area now, there's probably 25 laserwashes within 20 minutes of ours. Not to mention other machines. Good luck, BTW what did the stealership charge for the enhancement package? Where did you get the blue arch foam?

sterlingh20

Reaction score
The arch is just an M5 rubber cover that I cut and used zip ties to hold it on, the image package cost $5000 each bay installed, a little expensive but the metal signs were falling apart after just a 3 years.

sterlingh20

Reaction score
As for competition there are 3 self serve washes, and 1 laser 4000 at a gas station, and 1 hand wash facility, the rest are several miles away.

Gabriel

Reaction score
Run some specials--give your customers a price break. This is a bad economy and $10 bucks is Mini Tunnel pricing where I am. Put more premium features on your $5, $6, $8 wash packages. Offer coupons, super price wash days and stick with them. It is better to make a few dollars less on a bunch of washes and attract business than to sit with no cars on the lot. Got to create traffic. As stated it is not the best location and something needs to bring them in for you. Get creative, the previous owner did not sell because what you are doing is working. Add banners, neon, reader boards, $5 days--what ever it takes to get some traffic. Traffic draws traffic and it is very hard to get people to change their habits. Give them a reason.

Alan Bussey

Reaction score
Sterling -

You might try resparking this double IBA by placing a banner out front for a month or so that says something like "All washes $2." That will be a traffic generator that will draw attention to the car wash. After that you might try all of the traditional special promotions for birthdays, red cars, etc.. If people can remember the specials they might become regulars. You might also try prepping on Saturdays and Sundays.

Talk to aother double standalone IBA owners directly and see what they do. You can find them by contacting Washing Equipment of Texas (WET) or by using the Southwest Car Wash Association directory.

Good luck to you!

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
I would try marketing with the brake place across the street with a card and a code for a discount wash, it will help both of you ,also at other businesses in a mall nearby or a c-store without a wash. try door to door. I recently had a doorknob paper at my house by a stockbroker going around promoting himself,and a couple of politicians.
John

Etowah

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
I would take down the canopy and vacs.
Replace the vacs with a central vac system with free vacs (looks like you could put 4-5 vac drops against the building). I believe this is a best idea but if you don't want to spend to much money then see if you can vend out a token for your existing vacs, set the token value at 10 minutes.
Install a flow jet system and dispense free window cleaner at the vac drops.
It looks like you have a nice multi vender there already so you're set.
If you have any additional carpet shampoo/vac units from your old setup put them on the perimeter of the lot.
Then put the canopy back up with better lighting and signage on the canopy stating FREE VACUUMS.
Change your sign out front stating FREE vacuum with car wash purchase.
Then send out a mailer stating an Anniversay Sale offering a FREE car wash with FREE vacs.

MEP001

Reaction score
You might even consider changing the name. No offense, but the client?le in that area may think "Sterling H?O" is pretentious, at least the ones who understand English. Put up menus in Spanish too.