What's new

Recommendations on Auto Machine?

Yeaux

Reaction score
Looking for honest feedback on what you would install with the knowledge you have learned over the years. I am in a lease with a 4 bay/ 1 auto bay carwash with an option to purchase in the future. When to wash was built the auto bay was built to spec for an auto machine in the future. The wash is in a small town and is the only wash. Due to the towns size it would not be worth the investment to install a new automatic. What brand would you look for in a used automatic if you were shopping for one? Pros and cons of each machine you have experience with! Thanks in advance!

washnshine

Reaction score
You’ll first want to decide if you want a soft touch or touch free machine. You can determine that by looking at your competition, soil conditions and market (or the need/desire of customers) for either method of cleaning. Once you figure that out, you will get a lot of good opinions and feedback on this forum. If you go with a used machine, you will naturally be limited by what is available at the time you want to install.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
more specifics are needed. What is the town population? What is the daily traffic count past your site? What is the speed limit? What does your closest competition have for equipment?

in general I think I a used machine may seem cost-effective at first but could get expensive in repairs and maintenance if you don't buy the right machine.

With a new machine you get a few years of extremely reliable operation where you can make good money without the stress of repairs and down time.

If you insist on used, find what the closest distributors sell. Washworld Razor or Ryko Softgloss are popular names in the touchfree and friction segments. I'd start there.

STXCW

Reaction score
What are the dimensions of the auto bay? If it isn't the correct size, expect to spend 30k-50K+ to get it to the right size. A lot of old locations are to narrow and short for modern in bays.

Yeaux

Reaction score
What are the dimensions of the auto bay? If it isn't the correct size, expect to spend 30k-50K+ to get it to the right size. A lot of old locations are to narrow and short for modern in bays.
The inside dimensions are 16’x40’. It’s the empty bay to the right in the attached picture. My biggest concern is the size of the town and investment verse return on a new unit. It may not be financially beneficial to dump money into an automatic at this location even though the infrastructure is there.

Attachments

STXCW

Reaction score
What size of town is it? Our best wash is in a town of 6500 people. You also need to look at the surrounding area and determine if the town you are in draws people from other areas to come in and pick up essentials. They can also be prospective customers. This site we have generates over $35k on a good month on the in bay and $25K on a slow month. A small town can sometimes be a good thing if you are the only one. Now if the population is 1500, then I would stick to the SS only.

TMoliver

Reaction score
Looking at the building it appears you only have a 8' wide on the EQUIPMENT ROOM . That probably will be a little small for all the equipment required for a 4 & 1 Touch-less IBA. What is your water line size, 1.5" hopefully. What size of electrical panel / service is at this location?

Yeaux

Reaction score
Looking at the building it appears you only have a 8' wide on the EQUIPMENT ROOM . That probably will be a little small for all the equipment required for a 4 & 1 Touch-less IBA. What is your water line size, 1.5" hopefully. What size of electrical panel / service is at this location?
The electrical service is 3phase with plenty of room to add this in the breaker box, water line is 2” all the way to the interior of the building. The bay Is there along with required utilities. You are correct. Mechanical room would be very tight with the added equipment for the auto.

After receiving a couple of PM’s on this subject, investment verse return due to the location of this property is not logical. Unless I were to find a used auto wash for a heck of a deal I probably won’t do it. Thanks for all the input!

TMoliver

Reaction score
Not sure what is involved doing PM just not done any. However, I have 2 machine available new and one demo. you can email me at coffee4mo1950@yahoo.com and we can discuss the details. maybe the price is right for S LA as I am in S AR.