What's new

Rust Inhibitor or Rust Buster

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Here is one of them.

Manual of Best Practices for the Prevention of Corrosion on Vehicles and Equipment used by Transportation Agencies for Snow and Ice Control; Prepared by Mehdi Honarvar Nazari, Dave Bergner, Xianming Shi, Western Transportation Institute, Montana State University. Published by: Minnesota Department of Transportation, Research Services & Library, 395 John Ireland Boulevard, MS 330, St. Paul, Minnesota 55155-1899

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Here is another.

Review Evolution of the Automotive Body Coating Process—A Review, Nelson K. Akafuah 1,, Sadegh Poozesh, Ahmad Salaimeh, Gabriela Patrick, Kevin Lawler and Kozo Saito, College of Engineering, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40506, USA; Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing North America, Inc. (TEMA), Erlanger, KY 41018, Academic Editor: Robert Heimann Received: 22 April 2016; Accepted: 8 June 2016; Published: 13 June 2016

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
If you read all 160 some pages of the two documents, you wouldn’t need to ask.
If you read all 160 some pages of the two documents, you wouldn’t need to ask.

You see Bob, that is where you and I differ. First of all I feel the site is to enlighten and educate operators and make it easy for people to do so. Also, In my professions it is either required by the rules and or common courtesy that if you claim some authoritative work supports your position, if that claim is questioned you cite the work and page number. As referenced in post #23 above I cite the work you referenced and page number which refutes your claim since it addresses periodic spraying of rust inhibitor on equipment that may be affected.

And then of course there is your opinion that (Post #4) "Corrosion of automobiles has been virtually eliminated..." yet you cite works (although not devoted exclusively to automobiles) that are devoted to reducing vehicle corrosion.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“Corrosion of automobiles has been virtually eliminated..."

Compared to cars of yesterday, corrosion has virtually been eliminated. Not all corrosion, that’s impossible.

I bought Dodge Colt new 1971. Engine was bullet proof but within three years perforations (rust holes) developed on fenders, rockers and quarter panels.

I’ve also owned other rust buckets like Rambler and Ambassador, Beetle and Golf, Vega, Fiat 124, 131 and P3, Peugeot, etc. Worst was 74 Duster, frame rotted out and cracked, eight years old.

How much better is new Sonata, Accord, Camry, etc.?

“…..you cite works (although not devoted exclusively to automobiles) that are devoted to reducing vehicle corrosion.”

The science is the same.

Does underbody flush help? It certainly does.

Does spray on rust inhibitor like that applied at commercial carwash prevent corrosion?

The only definitive answer I’ve ever come across is it does hurt. That really isn’t much of a vote of confidence.

For example, OEM’s have published findings that rain repellent works for up to 30 days.

I find no such claims for rust inhibitor. Arguably, if there was evidence, OEM’s would plaster such claims in advertising.

I would also suspect underbody systems would be more involved than inverted spray bar.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
“Corrosion of automobiles has been virtually eliminated..."

Compared to cars of yesterday, ............................

For example, OEM’s have published findings that rain repellent works for up to 30 days.

I find no such claims for rust inhibitor. Arguably, if there was evidence, OEM’s would plaster such claims in advertising.
Well at least we agree things are better today. I have "heard"( no source cited) that there is some corrosion inhibitor used along with salt applied to roads for de icing.

As far as relying on what OEM's chose to publish, count me among those who trust little in that. Same OEM's who published not to use an automatic car wash when many of their own dealers use the very same equipment. Same OEM's who lie about mileage, pollution, air bags that injure, ignitions that cause fires, unintended acceleration etc.

TEEBOX

Reaction score
I want to thank everyone for their input and meaningful discussion on this subject. I have since ordered a rust inhibitor spray applicator and will pursue the extra $1 for this service, even If it ever decides to snow instead of rain here in Detroit.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
FWIW our a la carte items are Chassis Bath $1.00 and Rust inhibitor $2.00. We sell quite a few chassis Bath A la Carte in Salt season, but rarely sell the Chassis Bath and Rust inhibitor A La Carte because for another dollar the customer gets the package that includes both Sealer and Polish wax.

You can buy a fancy manifold but if you are EE the customer never sees it so you can make your own out of pipe and nozzles. Most important is the signage.

hkim310

Reaction score
Have you thought about just including it in your top package (and maybe even raising the price) and trying to push people to purchase the top package(s) if they want the undercarriage service? We do that here and in the winter people specifically ask for the package that includes this service. I think if given the option of purchasing a Basic Wash and including under carriage for an extra $1, they would have done that option instead of purchasing our $17 or $20 wash if we sold it a la carte. Just some food for thought......

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Have you thought about just including it in your top package .........
Maybe 30 years ago Walt Tack of Fon Du lac gave a talk to our association about menu pricing vis a vis setting A La Carte times at prices and then making the package Pricing savings attractive. Seemed to work well. I may be a dinosaur in that all times are offered A La Carte as well as in packages. About 15 years ago Walt came back with the package only system which is prevalent now, or in some cases a package plus one or 2 add ons. I have entertained the idea but never went with it.

washnshine

Reaction score
Maybe 30 years ago Walt Tack of Fon Du lac gave a talk to our association about menu pricing vis a vis setting A La Carte times at prices and then making the package Pricing savings attractive. Seemed to work well. I may be a dinosaur in that all times are offered A La Carte as well as in packages. About 15 years ago Walt came back with the package only system which is prevalent now, or in some cases a package plus one or 2 add ons. I have entertained the idea but never went with it.

Back in the early 1980's I saw in my area the "first computer controlled brushless (cloth) car wash in the region", as it was advertised. Basically a cloth hanna with logo loops instead of wands and packages that were more than wash or wash and sealer wax.

The pricing structure was similar to what you mentioned Walt Tack talked about - showing individual service prices and then offering a discounted package price. It was:

Basic Wash - $3
Underspray $1.50
Polish and Wax - $3
Super Wash $7.50 value, but discounted to $5.

Everyone either got the Wash or the Super.

Much smaller scale, and many less options than we have today, but it is the basic idea and helps force people to the top package if they might otherwise be in the middle.