What's new

Serious question

Debra Gorgos

Reaction score
I just had a Carwash owner arrested by Grandbury police because this person has stolen over $4,000 of my foam brush assemblies over the last 3 years from my Dallas Texas location. Dallas sucks but Granbury did fabulous job. I used a AirTag in my foam brush head to catch him.
Great story! Thank you for sharing.

Debra Gorgos

Reaction score
Great job Carwashking!! Love your story and the successful outcome!

Here is Citrus Heights, our police are pretty passive about the Airtags. 6 months ago, I had a friend in Citrus Heights have her luggage stolen from her car. She was headed out of town and had an Airtag in her luggage. When she came back out and discovered the missing luggage, she immediately called the police. She tracked the Airtag to a duplex in the same town, but the police said that without video, it couldn't be proven who took it!! o_O 😖
Wow. Did she get it back. I had someone use my credit card and ordered a pizza with it from Domino's. Was able to track down that person. On a side note, I heard people are putting airtags on their pets' collars...:unsure:

Debra Gorgos

Reaction score
Police have responded professionally - sometimes later than sooner. Chicago cops prioritize more serious crimes but (abbreviated story) when alarm went off and I looked at cameras and saw the guy inside the place I called in Burglary in progress. Police station is 2 blocks from that location, cops came and got the guy. I think he ultimately took a plea deal (Video evidence was pretty damning) He must have had a bad record because I think he got 5 years.
Great story Thank you, Earl Weiss!

Debra Gorgos

Reaction score
In Southern California...
We had 4 washes up until about 2018, two in a county coverage area and two in a city. The city began to seriously struggle financially (bankrupt) to the point that "low priority calls" would regularly take 3 or more days to receive a response. We dealt with homeless camping in our bays, stolen cars being dumped, serious graffiti and vandalism but we chugged on. We attended "coffees with a cop" meetings and would walk away slack jawed at the disconnect we were seeing from our police. The lieutenants and captains would tell the elderly homeowners to call the police if they saw transients digging for recyclables in their waste cans juxtaposed with us trying to get police help for felony level vandalism, obstruction of a business, shootings, open drug use / sales, etc. One night at about 2 a.m. my wife was checking the cameras and woke me up saying there were 3 guys trying to break in at the wash that was in the city coverage area. They had 6-foot pry bars, sledgehammers, and bolt cutters. I immediately called the police to ask for help, and they indicated they "would send an officer as soon as possible." I called 5 more times over the next hour and the dispatcher finally revealed they had no officers available to assist, they were all on other high priority calls, all 6 of them in a 300,000 population city leaving the entire city without coverage. I asked if they could send the Highway Patrol, the sheriff, school police, request an assist from another city, anything to stop the damage that was occurring. All requests were denied. An hour and 15 minutes after my first call, an officer drove by the business with his alley lights on very slowly and let them run off into the night. When I arrived, I asked the officer why he didn't give chase. He indicated if he had done that, he'd have to process them, keeping him off the street for a few hours and that there already were no officers available in the entire city. After hearing this shocking revelation, having already experienced a history of poor service from the department, and inspecting the thousands of dollars in damage, the decision to shut the business down was made on the spot. When those experiences are contrasted with the outstanding service we receive from our sheriff's department, the importance of strong law enforcement becomes all too clear.
We MUST have the support required to protect private property and our ability to engage in commerce, if not, the imbalance of criminal activity will crush our pursuit of profit.

-Sorry Debra, that's as positive as I can get with this topic.😞
Thank you for sharing your story. I am sorry.

Debra Gorgos

Reaction score
Couple years ago we had the cops pull in one night and there was a guy messing with our vacuums. When he saw them pull in he took off running. I can't remember if them caught him or not but the next morning they came in and asked us if anything was off but we didn't find anything.
Thank you for sharing this!

Carwashking

Reaction score
My dog will not stop whining for a snack. I would not put a AirTag on her. I did have to go round and round to get police to assist. Lucky today I got the right officer when I went to the police station. Below is his mug shot. Not sure if Dallas will help recoup my loss. JP Court I will seek damages.

Attachments

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Victims should ask the police officer what next steps should be taken after they file a report for a crime (if they can ID the suspect). You may find out that essentially nothing will be done if you don't take the initiative yourself.

In most jurisdictions in my State the police will take a report but virtually all misdemeanors have to be pursued by the victim. Smaller, more quiet departments may take the initiative to pursue minor crimes but most criminal investigations divisions are not sufficiently staffed to pursue everything so they spend their time on felonies and crimes of violence. Essentially, to get a warrant on a misdemeanor suspect the victim has to go to the magistrate's office and present a police report. If there is sufficient cause the magistrate will issue a warrant for the suspect. In my State of Alabama misdemeanor "property crime" of theft or criminal mischief (damage/vandalism) the amount is $2500 before it becomes a felony. So essentially someone can come to my wash and rip my $2000 vendor off the wall and steal the $40 out of it and nothing is going to happen unless I go to the magistrate and swear out a warrant for the suspect. But, if someone walks in an unoccupied unlocked equipment room and steals a $20 crescent wrench they have committed burglary(entering a structure with the intent to commit a crime) , a felony, and this will get pursued by CID.

If I have something minor happen (misdemeanor) on my property I will call the police and get them to run the tag of the suspect's vehicle. If it doesn't come back to the suspect vehicle and the police officer does not recognize this individual I don't even bother with filing a report. It's a fairly common practice for criminals to swap tags with a close relative so the tag doesn't match their car. If the tag doesn't match the car many investigations will stop right there unless someone recognizes the suspect.

Debra Gorgos

Reaction score
Victims should ask the police officer what next steps should be taken after they file a report for a crime (if they can ID the suspect). You may find out that essentially nothing will be done if you don't take the initiative yourself.

In most jurisdictions in my State the police will take a report but virtually all misdemeanors have to be pursued by the victim. Smaller, more quiet departments may take the initiative to pursue minor crimes but most criminal investigations divisions are not sufficiently staffed to pursue everything so they spend their time on felonies and crimes of violence. Essentially, to get a warrant on a misdemeanor suspect the victim has to go to the magistrate's office and present a police report. If there is sufficient cause the magistrate will issue a warrant for the suspect. In my State of Alabama misdemeanor "property crime" of theft or criminal mischief (damage/vandalism) the amount is $2500 before it becomes a felony. So essentially someone can come to my wash and rip my $2000 vendor off the wall and steal the $40 out of it and nothing is going to happen unless I go to the magistrate and swear out a warrant for the suspect. But, if someone walks in an unoccupied unlocked equipment room and steals a $20 crescent wrench they have committed burglary(entering a structure with the intent to commit a crime) , a felony, and this will get pursued by CID.

If I have something minor happen (misdemeanor) on my property I will call the police and get them to run the tag of the suspect's vehicle. If it doesn't come back to the suspect vehicle and the police officer does not recognize this individual I don't even bother with filing a report. It's a fairly common practice for criminals to swap tags with a close relative so the tag doesn't match their car. If the tag doesn't match the car many investigations will stop right there unless someone recognizes the suspect.
Wow. Great information. Thank you.