What's new

Solar panel systems

MudMoney

Reaction score
What are owners experiences with installing solar at a self serve.what was your main objective, lighting, heating water,etc. How long is Roi and what are maintenance issues. Is there federal tax breaks or credits. Let's start there.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I have had about 5 solar led lights with small panels. If nothing else it gives me a feel for what to expect in terms of no or less performance .... when there is a long stretch of cloudy days. So far the batteries apparently were of better quality but at some point they could be a maintenance issue.

Up north like we are ... the glycol's specific gravity does make for less ongoing BTU transfer if you are considering hydronic heating. So far I have not tried the hydronic approach ... partially because of resistance (possibly justifiable) from local HVAC people.

Last edited:

Roz

Reaction score
Varies significantly by state, no one answer for different states. Also depends on the Federal incentives as well as the regulations for electric buyback. Some states require electric companies to install reversible (or net) meters so you save the actual cost you would have incurred if you purchased the electricity, other states allow the utility companies to discount the amount they pay for the electricity (basically charging you for the delivery lines).

In general the higher the cost per KW the quicker the payback. The more panels you can install on the roof the quicker the payback as installation costs get amortized over more panels. There is a chart or online calculator somewhere that shows the breakeven calculation based on the cost per KW, size of the array, and your expense. You can purchase or lease them which changes the math too. Sales people try to price the projects at a 7 year B/E price point but you can do better if you have competition in the area or you have a high cost for electricity. I believe If your cost per KW is 10 cents or less then the B/E is not great, although panels will last for 20 years or more. You might also look at geo-thermal energy if you use a lot of hot water or heating fuel.

We installed both solar and geo in our house. Best decision made....

celica

Reaction score
I installed a 10KW P.V system 10 years ago. The company installed a pile of systems, then went disappeared to avoid warranty work. The payback was about 6 years, so that was the only saving grace. If your in a climate that gets snow, then be prepared to clean the snow off. You can leave the snow on, but your generation will take a hit. My system has micro-inverters that convert the dc of each panel to AC. I have had to replace 5 of them in 10 years (of 45 inverters). The inverters have a 15 warranty (Enphase) so they were covered. I change them myself, so avoid paying someone else. If you have a shingled roof make sure you reroof before installing your panels. The panels will last at least 25 years, so don't get caught with the roof needing re shingling before that. Overall, I wouldn't do it again.

mac

Reaction score
Swampdonkey, it says you are in Montana. Solar is not practical that far north. Your roi would be longer that the useful life of the system..Might work a few months in the summer, but the snow and angle of the sun's rays would doom it.

Azexcrt

Reaction score
I installed solar panels at my self-serve car wash to reduce energy costs and increase sustainability. Lighting and water heating were the main targets. The ROI depends on various factors, but federal tax credits played a significant role in making the investment more attractive. Maintenance has been minimal – occasional panel cleaning and standard checks on the system.

Last edited:

frederictill

Reaction score
I’ve been looking into installing solar for my place and found a lot of useful info. My main objective is cutting down on electricity bills and maybe heating water. I came across solar ireland, which seems pretty solid. They say you can save thousands of euros per year and even sell excess power back to the grid, which sounds great.
As for ROI, it seems like you start seeing savings in a few years. Maintenance is minimal—just occasional cleaning and check-ups. Not sure about federal tax breaks, but in Ireland, there are grants and incentives.
Anyone else have experience with solar installations? How’s it working out for you?

Last edited: