What's new

Subject: Urgent! CryptoPay Tap Exploit - Free Washes & Missing Transactions

soapy

Reaction score
I am getting ready to install cryptopay at one location. How long does it take to get verified if you don't have it start up instantly? My Wash Gear system usually only takes less than 5 seconds. I am replacing a Etowah Valley system since I have not been able to get timers or replacemnt boards for a few years now. Lucky I had multiple spares and they were able to piece timers together from my old parts.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Crytopay usually verifies and starts within a few seconds. If it does not connect at (I think) 30 seconds it will start without authorization and continue to attempt to authorize. If you are count down it has already pulsed the timer though. If you are count up it will stop the equipment once the auth was declined.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Cryptopay suggested this solution to prevent fraud, but it wouldn't work for me. That's because my car wash is completely cashless. If the internet goes down, even for a short time, I'm essentially out of business."

I have the same concerns. So what do you propose as a solution short of installing Nayax? The only thing I can come up with is have a back up wireless modem from an internet provider on hand.

Carwashmafia

Reaction score
I have the same concerns. So what do you propose as a solution short of installing Nayax? The only thing I can come up with is have a back up wireless modem from an internet provider on hand.
I've seen the videos of people hitting multiple bays at once, swiping their card, then repeatedly tapping. It looks like they're overwhelming the system somehow. I'm wondering what the coordinator's limits are in terms of handling communication.

At Crypto Pay's request, we're trying a workaround with two coordinators to speed up communication between all our devices.

I've had Starlink installed for three years now and it's been pretty solid. There's been minimal downtime, and when it does go out, it's usually back up in minutes.

So far, we're in the testing process. We have no final solution yet.

mucoucah

Reaction score
Following. Is the problem only for countdown? I see mine authorize and then stop if the card is invalid, but mine are count up.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Make sure you have good signal from swipers to coordinator. Cryptopay has recommended a couple of inexpensive antennas you can buy on Amazon to possibly help. If you’ve done that and you’re still seeing that problem it’s time to start looking at a potential problem with the problems mentioned in this thread

mucoucah

Reaction score
From Cryptopay, below.
In summary if you have Cryptopay and Dixmor timer, they can talk to each other and "Cancel" the transaction if not approved. The bay will start and shutdown in 15 sec if no connection.
It only works with Dixmor since Cryptopay and Dixmor can "talk" to each other. It won't work with other timers, in particular if countdown.

Link to the antennas in Amazon if someone needs them as well.
Do your own research for your case. My timers are Dixmor and I had not noticed this issue, but I have one swiper that gives me regular trouble (super slow to approve) and I am going to try the antenna.

CryptoPay, by default, will spend 15 seconds getting an approval before activating the equipment in good faith. if the equipment has been activated in good faith, CryptoPay will continue attempting to get an approval. If a decline is returned, CryptoPay will deactivate the equipment. Even if it is mid-cycle. This feature is called Cancel on Decline.

CryptoPay has an additional feature called Approval Required. The Approval Required feature will not activate the equipment until an approval is returned. This could be problematic if the CryptoPay Coordinator is offline. The equipment would not be activated with a credit card until the Coordinator comes back online.

In order for CryptoPay to get an approval or a decline the CryptoPay Coordinator needs to be online and connected to the CryptoPay Card Readers. Otherwise, CryptoPay would need to wait for the Coordinator to come back online to get either the approval or the decline.

Cancel on Decline requires the CryptoPay Card Reader to be connected to a compatible Dixmor timer. This works on either Count Up or Advanced Count Down.

We have provided links below if you are interested in the external antenna.

Outdoor Antenna extender (both links are for the same type of antenna)
AMAZON

Waterproof Dual Band WiFi 2.4GHz 5GHz 5.8GHz Mini Omni-Directional
Waterproof Dual Band WiFi 2.4GHz 5GHz 5.8GHz Outdoor 5dBi RP