What's new

There's still more idiots in Florida wanting a wash

mac

Reaction score
There was a discussion a while ago about a repoed wash in Mulberry, FL. The bank is really wanting to unload this and says it has the issue with the retention pond worked out. It may be possable to buy this for under $400K. That's the good news. There is a new express tunnell under construction with an oil change that is advertising a $3 wash with free vacs. That will make four washes within a 2 mile area, and this is not exactly downtown Orlando. There's a lot of rural around. This new investor must have been getting his nose stuffed with something. So now all four investments will do poorly.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Mac,

According to my information, the new express with oil change is positioned on the outskirts of Lakeland and targeting primarily the Lakeland market, not Mulberry.

Although the mayor's recent arrest is no reflection on the good people of Mulberry, this little town's days have come and gone. Its almost a ghost town now. Given the State's and region's economic woes, I hold little hope for improvement in Mulberry.

Given the seasoned veterans the new guy faces, I give him about a 60/40 chance of breaking even.

Do you know who sold him on this site?

mac

Reaction score
Don't know who orchestrated this sale, but I'll see if I can find out.

Tom Thumb

Reaction score
If the salesman can keep finding investors like this one, maybe before long business will get better for us.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
OK, Maybe it's just me an I will confes I do not know the area and being in Chicago may be like being on another planet.

BUT, I think saying X # of washes within Y distance as the Crow flies is only one element to consider. Another is traffic patterns.

For instance peopel traveling regularly on a thoroughfare may have little exposure to a wash on a thorougfare 2 miles away. Also, if the washes are primarily to the say east and North, there may be none to the south and west so that anyone going to the guys East and North from the south and west would have to pass new guy.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Compared to Chicago, Mulberry, Florida is another planet.

About 3,000 people and 20% live in poverty. The economy consists of a phosphate mine and a container company. It does have a McDonalds at the crossroads.

Mulberry is basically a podunk outlier to the city where this new wash is going in.

BillR

Reaction score
That car wash in Mulberry was built shortly after the WalMart opened right near there. Everyone expected that that whole area would boom once Walmart came to town. John, the guy that built that wash, had no car wash experience whatsoever. He once told me that he thought even if it didn't make any money he could flip it and make money on the resale. Needless to say, things didn't go as planned.

I agree with everyone else, that area cannot support four car washes.

Boogie

Reaction score
There was a discussion a while ago about a repoed wash in Mulberry, FL. The bank is really wanting to unload this and says it has the issue with the retention pond worked out. It may be possable to buy this for under $400K. That's the good news. There is a new express tunnell under construction with an oil change that is advertising a $3 wash with free vacs. That will make four washes within a 2 mile area, and this is not exactly downtown Orlando. There's a lot of rural around. This new investor must have been getting his nose stuffed with something. So now all four investments will do poorly.
First of all, before calling people idiots and suggesting they're on booger sugar, you should probably proof your own post before submitting it.

Second, just because a 2 mile stretch has two hot dog stands and a steakhouse, it doesn't mean that McDonalds shouldn't build.

However, I'm with Bill on this, I'm not sure that area can support four washes. I think the two hot dog stands are in trouble. The steakhouse and McDonalds should be fine. Just my two cents.

Boogie

Reaction score
Hey Mac, calling someone and idiot and inferring they are using cocaine is pretty serious stuff. That being said, I'm not sure that stretch can support 4 washes either. Heck, it couldn't support the three that were already there, thus the bank taking over the wash in Mulberry. If I had to bet, the existing full service will be just fine as it is a well run established location.