What's new

Tire Seal Machine Adjustments for slinging.

Icast42

Reaction score
I’m looking for some guidance on this. Basically our Sonny’s Tire Seal Machine is set to prime for 1.3 seconds every 4th car. The PSI to the nozzles was about 17-18PSI. What happens is the rim would be covered in excess amounts of Tire Shine. We’ve lowered our priming down from 2 seconds to 1.3 seconds but our first opening wash shows the same issues of over saturation leading me to believe it’s not a priming issue. At this point I’ve adjusted the PSI to about 12 to lower the amount of chemicals to the pad. So far it’s been working but too early to tell. Any ideas on this, and was this the appropriate set to solve this ? Thanks.

washnshine

Reaction score
I have had that issue with pads in the past and ended up going to a brush applicator instead of the pad - that does help. I know you are not going to replace what you have, but you are going in the right direction with what you are doing - it depends on prime time, psi, and how wet the tire is at the point of application. From what I have seen, the wetter the tire, the more chance of sling and the wetter your pads become with the water added to the tire shine chemical - it then just continues to exacerbate the problem - more wet tires, wetter pads, and a messy mixture of chemical and water on the tires and rims that will sling. If your first wash of the day is saturated, it could be that the pads are not able to dry out with the excessive water they have picked up.

Best solution I have found is get the tire as dry as you can - either with drip space or placement of the tire shine machine, go to brushes and then tweak your chemical. The cars with the smaller tires are always the worst - you get more chemical on the rim because the tire is so narrow.

Good luck.

Icast42

Reaction score
I have had that issue with pads in the past and ended up going to a brush applicator instead of the pad - that does help. I know you are not going to replace what you have, but you are going in the right direction with what you are doing - it depends on prime time, psi, and how wet the tire is at the point of application. From what I have seen, the wetter the tire, the more chance of sling and the wetter your pads become with the water added to the tire shine chemical - it then just continues to exacerbate the problem - more wet tires, wetter pads, and a messy mixture of chemical and water on the tires and rims that will sling. If your first wash of the day is saturated, it could be that the pads are not able to dry out with the excessive water they have picked up.

Best solution I have found is get the tire as dry as you can - either with drip space or placement of the tire shine machine, go to brushes and then tweak your chemical. The cars with the smaller tires are always the worst - you get more chemical on the rim because the tire is so narrow.

Good luck.
The issue is almost an excessive amount gets on the tires. Slinging then happens. But the Tire Shine literally drips to the parking lot, almost as if too much is being sprayed on the brush. That’s why I lowered the PSI to limit the amount being primed. I’ve noticed that prime timer seems to be good, and since my personal car got covered in Tire Shine in the morning, since it was the first car with no priming done, it eliminates the priming I believe. So that’s why the PSI made the most sense. I appreciate the insight, glad I’m making the right steps to reduce this. I’ve watched a few cars come out, issue seems to be cleared up, any other advice I appreciate. Thank you.