What's new

Top Omni tripping breaker in the MC

benny2

Reaction score
My top omni is tripping my breaker in the MC after running for hours every day. I have cleaned all of the nozzles, had an electrician check for loose connections, check the volatage which is perfect, adjusted the pressure and ran it in all of the ranges from 600-800. Does anyone have any other suggestions.

RAATCB

Reaction score
How long has this problem been happening?

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
If the electrician checked wire connections and voltage, then I would suspect that a ground fault or a short circuit are not the cause.

So, this would leave overload as the cause.

Overload occurs when too much demand is placed on a circuit or when the device being supplied is drawing more amps than normal.

So, what can cause an electric motor to draw more amps than normal?

There is the problem (i.e. bad pump?).

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
You could have a bad bypass regulator if there is one on the omni causing the pump to work too hard when it bypasses.

JimmyJaffa

Reaction score
We have had to replace several motor starters and contactors. Check the amperage (hopefully you have an amp meter and know how to use one) on each leg of the motor (imbalance?). As a motor ages, it could experience increase amperage, if so you could try increasing the overload amperage on the motor starter (my guess). If the amperage is correct then a new motor starter (second guess).

benny2

Reaction score
The problem has been going on for months. It's a brand new motor, my wash is in its 7th month of operation. The motor specs an 18 amp draw, I have the breaker set at 25 amps and it still trips I think I am calling Suncoast tomorrow morning and have them send me new overload and motor starters it's brand new.

Earl, where would the bypass regulator be?

JimmyJaffa

Reaction score
More variables, try switching motor starters with one of the omni sides. Good early morning project before you open. Then see which function over loads. What is the start up amps? this also will trip the starter if it is too high. I have had to go one size bigger when the motor tripped on start up.

benny2

Reaction score
The start up amps spiked to 100 then fell down to15 amps immediately.