What's new

Turtle wax

evergreen

Reaction score
Is anyone using Turtle wax products in their tunnels? Thinking about switching. They have 5 gal chemicals that are highly concentrated and do the same amout of cars as a 55 gal. drum.
Any thoughts?

zepher

Reaction score
We have been using Turtle Wax brand chemicals in our Automatic Bay for a few months now and they are wonderful. I would recommend them to anyone! They are really concentrated and the 5 gallon containers aren’t that expensive (depending on where you order them from). The customers also notice the difference. I have numerous customers comment on how great and shiny their car looks after leaving the car wash.

Randy

Reaction score
We used Turtle wax products for years and for the most part liked there products. We had to stop using it when all the distributors in our area stopped handling it, it is too expensive to have shipped in. I think there was a change in the leadership at Turtle wax. They used to be the big dog at the car wash conventions, anymore they are hard to find.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
There are a number of national brand car washing chemicals to consider besides Turtle Wax including Blue Coral, Simoniz, Armor All, etc.

When I owned a wash, I made the switch from a regional mixer to Turtle Wax. Was it worth it? Paying the higher price was hard but the increase in average revenue and customer satisfaction made for a very good ROI.

Just look at how much money carwash owners have made with total body products like Rain-X (Blue Coral brand owned by Ecolab) and Double Bond (Simoniz USA).

I’m not inferring that regional mixers don’t make very fine products, many of them do.

However, when you go to an auto parts or discount store, you will not find these brands or their products lining the shelves nor do you find TV advertisements for them. Instead, you find national brands that many consumers are keenly aware of.

Years ago, I participated in the roll-out of Blue Coral’s Exterior Supreme program.

The system included cart with air compressor, product storage tanks and atomizer to apply spray wax, Rain-X and tire shine. Product was wiped off with slightly dampened towels. The service took about 7 or 8 minutes working in teams of two people. Back then, the OEM suggested a retail price of $9.95. We charged $19.95 and sold it like hot cakes.

Was it the national brand and performance of the products that made the difference or was it the convenience of the service? I can’t answer this because we were too busy counting money to bother with any analysis.

I believe many carwash owners are too often seduced into the mindset of low cost per car at any cost which causes them to forgo the opportunity to create high margin profit centers.

Co-branding a store has many potential benefits, not to mention professionally prepared marketing materials that national brands provide.

packerscw

Reaction score
Its seems though people these days are just worried about getting a clean car. No matter what the chemical brand name, if they exit the wash and there car is not clean they are going to pull back around and demand a re-wash or refund. I noticed that many companies that used to just sell name brand chemicals have been coming out with economy lines of chemicals. At the end of the day a clean car is what we are trying to do, whether turtle wax, rain-x,_,_,_.... If you give a clean car everytime they go through the wash, then seems to me that would help your business more.

packerscw

Reaction score
Dont get me wrong Turtle Wax and name brand chemicals make a great product. But its hard to get through my head to pay more for chemical only to get the same clean car product at the end of the day.

Bob C.

Reaction score
I have been using Turtle Wax products for many years. I am pleased how clean and shiny the cars come out and the product is very consistent. I use Turtle Wax in both my tunnel and my self-serves.

dlc95

Reaction score
The first car wash I ever worked at used Turtle Wax, foam wax, Crystal Polymer Conditioner, and Crystal Polymer Glaze, and good Lord did they smell great! My boss uses Zep/Armor All. I'm using Stone Soap and I really like it! That being said, I will be giving Turtle Wax a go. I'm particularly interested in their "Ice" arch.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Turtle Wax changed hands over a year ago. The new owner, Transchem, has been making excellent car wash products for a number of years and have made significant improvements in the line.