What's new

Vac Tank Decals

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Need to replace some of My Coleman Combo Super Vac 3 Tank decals - The large ones. Before paying the Coleman price or reinventing the wheel by going to a local shop does anyone have a source?

pgrzes

Reaction score
Have fun taking those decals off!!! Lots of razor blades, then lots of goof off and scotch brite pads. Oh yeah and a couple boxes of latex gloves. I just did 12 of them, the side decals and faceplates. No fun. I didnt replace the side decals, easier to clean up anything on plain stainless then someone painting or scraping a decal. I think everyone knows what they are! Maybe?!! If I do anything with them I will just do lettering rather than those gigantic poster sized decals.

harleygrant

Reaction score
3m adhesive remover in the spray can and plastic scrapers. I am getting my fragramatic ones replaced by local guys.

MEP001

Reaction score
Check with S. Thomas, they already have the combo vac door decal and might also do the tank one.

I use a heat gun and can usually peel them off pretty quickly. 3M Adhesive cleaner and a razor makes quick work of the leftover gum. If you work with a light hand and change the blade often you won't scratch the stainless.

soonermajic

Reaction score
MEP, I'm betting his have been on for yrs, are petrified & wont just peel off. Mine needs new as well. Dreading the day...& you're correct about S.Thomas, in Dallas.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
I found the easiest method to taking the WSII decals off were to cut the decals vertically ( or horizontally ) about the with of the razor. Then using the razor in a scraper handle, peel the whole section off. These decals were 10 years old and came off fast that way, with no heat other than the sun and ambient temp.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Called them They said they do them. Waiting for proof and pricing.

Rudy

Reaction score
If you really want an easy way to remove decals.....brake parts cleaner. Nasty stuff, but it works.

Makes a mess....and don't get it on your skin.

Etowah

Jerry

Reaction score
I just replaced 16 vac decals 2 weeks ago. Use these below and you’ll get the stickers and residue off in less than 10 mins

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Jerry

Reaction score
Outside the box advertising:
Everyone already knows these are vacuums so why not custom design these to something else you offer like an oil change, detailing, or other more profitable item. $35 each at Fastsigns including free design

[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

pgrzes

Reaction score
A lot of how easy/difficult decals are to remove depends on several things:
What type of decal is on there?
How long has that decal been on there?
Was it on the sunny side?
How much graffitti has been scratched into the decals? Etc. Etc.
The coleman decals have some colors that peel right off, then you get to some of the other print on them that dont peel well, and the adhesive removers dont penetrate the vinyl. So you first need to get the vinyl off, then use the removers for the remaining glue? The older they are generally the more difficult to remove. Any event they are not fun to do! Some projects I dont mind doing, some I avoid like the plague! Decals are a plague!

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
STA did some custom decals and did a good job. The decal material is high quality.

D-limonnene based cleaners work well for adhesive removal. Zep big orange is 90% d limonene and is awesome,but expensive. Turtle wax makes one you can get at autozone that is pretty good.

I used this last time and it worked great. Also worked well on gasket residue. It is 73% d-limonene:
https://www.zoro.com/sprayon-citrus-cleaner-degreaser-aerosol-can-sc0757000/i/G3731226/

I use the white scotchbrite pads: https://www.zoro.com/scotch-brite-sanding-hand-pad-alum-silicate-sfine-61500123213/i/G1035605/ If the vacs are near bays they will have overspray that comes off with HF or similar wall cleaners. You might as well clean them up while you have the decals off. Get the adhesive off and spray with HF and scrub with those pads and they will look factory new.

side note- both the scotchbrite and sprayon seems to be safe on extrutech PVC wall panels- Its a nice safe product to give to your cleanup guys to get various stuff off the walls

Last edited:

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Part of the issue I have is decals are removed and seem to have lefty a rusty "Shadow" on the Stainless. So, I can iether polish every vac or throw a decal on top. Not wanting to buff and polish. Maybe some heavy duty cleaner like Kleen Wall.

MEP001

Reaction score
Klean Wall along with a scouring pad should remove it.

I've seen that rusty looking stuff before. I bought some dish soap from Sam's that ate through a stainless steel pump bottle. Maybe someone applied the decals wet with a similar soap.