What's new

Vending Machines at car wash sites

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
The margin in vending is pretty small. We pay 10.1% sales tax on everything at the car wash.
I think your margins may be standard but perhaps we are outdated or the wholesale costs for relatively small quantities we buy are too high. I was talking to a 7/1 operator about pricing and he indicated most 7/11 operators price a 2x cost plus 10-15 cents per item and of course tax is added at the register. Plus a "Loss Leader" is supposed to drive customers to the store where you can profit on other stuff. I never considered Vending to do this.

Carwashmafia

Reaction score
Post #423 says sales are $5000 / mo. Your reply to how much profit says $4500?????
I make $1,000 per month from selling soda, Gatorade, chips, and detailing products in my vending machine. That means I'm keeping $500 as profit. I also sell custom washcards for $5, $10, and $20, totaling about $4,000 per month. It's higher in the summer, less in the winter, but a monthly average of 4,000. All my bays, dog wash, and vacuums only take cards - no cash. It's a unique system, which is why my vending machine is so important to me. It lets people use cash to buy services and has completely stopped vandalism.

Edit: I buy 25k Wash Cards at a time so I pay about 25 cents per card so take that off COGS too

Last edited:

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
I make $1,000 per month from selling soda, Gatorade, chips, and detailing products in my vending machine. That means I'm keeping $500 as profit. I also sell custom washcards for $5, $10, and $20, totaling about $4,000 per month. It's higher in the summer, less in the winter, but a monthly average of 4,000. All my bays, dog wash, and vacuums only take cards - no cash. It's a unique system, which is why my vending machine is so important to me. It lets people use cash to buy services and has completely stopped vandalism.

Edit: I buy 25k Wash Cards at a time so I pay about 25 cents per card so take that off COGS too
Your math is off. The $4000 for the cards is not pure profit. It's just an different way of getting paid for the use of your wash so you have to figure out those expenses plus the expense of purchasing, loading, and stocking the vendor with those cards. It's just like when you see someone on Youtube take a stack of bills out of their changer claim it's money they made. Unless the change given for those bills were used at the wash in some capacity, you've actually lost money on the exchange.

Carwashmafia

Reaction score
Your math is off. The $4000 for the cards is not pure profit. It's just an different way of getting paid for the use of your wash so you have to figure out those expenses plus the expense of purchasing, loading, and stocking the vendor with those cards. It's just like when you see someone on Youtube take a stack of bills out of their changer claim it's money they made. Unless the change given for those bills were used at the wash in some capacity, you've actually lost money on the exchange.
The washcards can only be used at my wash so any sale of washcards is different than bills and a bill changer
Profit Gross vs Net I was strictly speaking revenue generated I know Carwashes that operate at a 70% gross margin and others that lose money each month I don't know what my exact profit is I would have to figure all expenses and add that in a percentage of how long each piece of equipment is used

Insurance
Electricity
Water
Rent or Mortgage
Labor Costs
Marketing and Advertising
Supplies and Equipment
Waste Disposal
Taxes Includes income tax, property tax, etc.
Maintenance and Repairs Costs
Debt Service
Professional Services
Technology Costs
internet
Transportation Costs

My vending machine generates $5,000 a month in Revenue