What's new

Wash Select II with Cryptopay

bigjws

Reaction score
My dial-up modem on the Wash Select II finally died, so it looks like I'm going to need to crawl into the 21st century. I like the ease and seemingly reliability of Cryptopay. I've been reading some of the posts from those who have done the retrofit .. couple of questions:

*After having it in service for some time, is it still what you had hoped? Reliability, ease of use, etc as advertised?
*When retrofitting, did you have to update the software or hardware from Unitec?
*Did anyone use the retrofit kit .. the one that comes with the lexan face, cover plates for the current reader, etc, and did everything fit as it should?
*Did I read right that if you want customers to have receipts, you have to pay for a service online for them to go to? Do you guys actually use that service?

Thanks in advance .. I appreciate the input!

OurTown

Reaction score
We installed the Hamilton Gold Line retrofit kit so I'm not sure about the Wash Select II specific kit. The card reader seems like it doesn't read a fair percentage of cards or at least more than we thought. Our Go Green receipt service was free for the first year and I think it's $180/year for one site after that. They give you a discount for more sites or more services with them. One thing we don't like about the receipt service is that you can't tell how many people use it to see if it's worth it to renew it. Overall we like our Cryptopay retrofit kit.

APW

Reaction score
I have it on two Wash Selects and fixing to put in on a third. It does not read all cards like stated above. Sometimes a customer might swipe fifteen times before it accepts it or it might not take it at all. I can walk up with my card and try it and it will take it the first time. It seems like it just doesn't like some cards. Overall it has been good. I think the doors on Wash Selects vary a little bit so the kit might not work exact. If I remember right, the blank off plate they sent had to be retrofitted by me to work, but not a big deal. As far as receipts, I paid the $180 at both sites and when it came time to renew I had cryptopay check and see how many people actually got receipts. It was only like 3 people between both sites. Needless to say I didn't renew the online receipts again.

Reaction score
Swipe 15 times before a read? Don't you fear losing customers? That has to be frustrating.

APW

Reaction score
Swipe 15 times before a read? Don't you fear losing customers? That has to be frustrating.
It is very frustrating. Don't know of anything else to do and Cryptopay doesn't have an answer. Some people do leave.

Reaction score
It is very frustrating. Don't know of anything else to do and Cryptopay doesn't have an answer. Some people do leave.
We've experienced several customers coming to us with trying to solve other issues within that system. I can understand it's frustrating as an owner to do that. Would love to chat with you if you are looking at other options.

bigjws

Reaction score
Just wanted to follow up for anyone in the same boat .. it looks like there is a loophole in the compliance issue, so Unitec could either send me a remanufactured dial-up modem or reprogram mine if not dead (evidently the new pci-compliance is good for dial-up, only have to update for internet.) So I'm staying with dial-up for now (still only takes 10/15 sec for approval, less hassle to just replace what I've got) .. reprogramming is about $625, remanufactured around $1450.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Am I reading that right? Unitec now charges $625 to reprogram your existing functional modem? IIRC it used to be $100.

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
I just had two modems programmed by Unitec as spares and it certainly wasn’t $625 each. I want to say it was more like $300 or so apiece.

NitroHouston

Reaction score
I have CryptoPay on a Wash Select and a Hamilton ACW. The readers work great, but I did have one that took an excessive number of swipes to work. I mailed it back and they repaired it via warranty. I really like their solution and it integrates well with Vacuums.